Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help im camera stupid! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Help im camera stupid! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

maria rose

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay I just found a Kowa SE in my attic a few weeks ago and found out i can use it for my photography class in school (Im in high school) so i dont have to go buy a pricey new one. Well my brother was messing around with it and now when I click the take a picture button (like my technical terms?) nothing happens, also I notce (here is another nice term) the black plastic thingy inside that would be under the film when I put it in that usually shutters to take a picture, is on the top, and from what I recall, I dont thing its supposed to be. If anyone can please help me in the next few days i would be so happy!!! Thanks!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Maria. Not exactly encouraging news, eh? It sounds like the camera has become jammed...somehow. At this distance, it will be difficult to know for sure. Unfortunately, these cameras are difficult to repair. However, try this: hold the camera upright in your right hand and hit the bottom of it with the heel of your left hand. Don't bang it too hard, just give it a little smack and see if things free up. I know this sounds like a joke, but it isn't. Sometimes the mirror can become stuck on old gummy light seal (a spell in the attic will ruin light seal), and other times old gummy oil will cause the mechanism to hang. I'm going to hope strongly that a little whack on the bottom will bring it back to life. Please let us know.

Jon

charles stobbs

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Otherwise, try it on your brother.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Kowa SE being a leaf-shutter SLR, the mirror mechanism is pretty complex and your chances of the mirror being just stuck in the foam bumper are not very good.

I would recommend looking for another camera... it doesn't have to be very pricey, I just today saw a Minolta SRT-101 on eBay with a "buy it now" price under $50 with the lens. A camera like that will be both more versatile and more reliable than the Kowa.

There are a number of people here who will be happy to help you distinguish a good deal from a bad one, in any price range you choose.

rick :)=

Maria

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help everyone! Things with the Kowa didnt work out too well but have a few cameras bookmarked on ebay, that my brother is helping me pay for by the way. Thanks again!

Maria

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2986748212

is this good or bad? or if you are ever surfin around ebay and see someting please let me know. Im so camera stupid. My screenname is alternativegrf and im usually online. Thanks again for your help everyone!

Henry

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maria,

If you are looking to get a camera to actually take pictures with--what a weird idea for this forum!--the Canon Rebel G is an excellent choice. My Rebel G is my personal travel, go every where, camera.

But since you are a newbie I'd suggest you purchase a new one from B&H mailorder house. They are trustworthy and have decent prices.

Henry

Martin

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually, for a photography class, a totally manual (focus and exposure) camera is recommended. If the camera can do it all for you the temptation is to let it and you will learn less as a result. The rebel can be switched to manual focus but you're never going to have the control you have over a manual camera because you'll constantly be trying to out smart the CPU. The rebel is a great carry camera but to really learn photography I'd recommend something else.
Regards - Martin

Maria Hi again

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help! My Photography teacher gave me a few names to look at But GUESS WHAT!!!!!! I was fooling around with the Kowa AND I FIXED IT! YAY! I really violently was winding that little lever thing (My awesome terms again) and i was doing it over and over again and the shutter moved! So I kept it up untill SHUPOW! it works! The light meter is kinda messed up still so Im still going to get a new camera for the class but at least i dont have to throw away my Kowa although because it was handled by everyone who thought they knew what they were doing, I have to get it cleaned now but still! It works! Thanks again for your help everyone!

Dean

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW, I just happened upon this site because I just got an old but near mint Kowa SE, and I had the same problem Maria had with the mirror sticking. I did what you suggested and it worked! WOW! This camera is working great now. Anybody know what its worth...I know its not much but I'm just curious. Thanks! Dean

arun

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I just got hold of an Kowa SE 1:1.9,f=50mm camera from a friend of mine free of cost with all attachments.Unfortunately on opening i found that its shutter assembly is unserviceable.I am in UK and would like to know if it could be repaired and is it worth going for repair.I understand its a very old model.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration