Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help with Canonet 28 wobbly lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Help with Canonet 28 wobbly lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dm

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I was so pleased with the first pictures from my Yashica MG-1 that I picked up two Canonets (a QL17 and a 'new' 28). Both have problems unfortunately. The QL17 has stuck aperture blades, and so I'll need to fabricate a tool to go in from the back. For the 28 I'm stuck. Everything looks good except the lens wobbles. I thought the lens would be mounted like the 17 and so after reading a post here, I pulled back the leather on the front. Now I cant see how I can tighten the lens. Looking from the back, I dont see anything I can tighten either. I also pulled the front of lens apart as much as I could (down to 3 screws held in place with clear glue or nail polish), but saw no way to pull off the filter ring. So, hopefully someone here can offer advice, since its in good condition otherwise.

TIA,

Dan

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can think of 2 possibilities, but it sounds like you've already checked them both: the lens/shutter assembly is usually attached to a separate square panel which is then attached to the main chassis with 4 screws in the corners. These screws are generally found either directly under the leather on the front, or hidden behind a pair of access panels under the leather next to the lens.

The other is the retaining ring around the back of the lens, where the shutter itself is attached. In my experience this is much less common as a problem.

The only other thing that comes to mind is loose focusing threads.... but they'd have to be very loose to make the lens feel wobbly, and it takes a lot of wear to do that......

dm

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"...the lens/shutter assembly is usually attached to a separate square panel which is then attached to the main chassis with 4 screws in the corners."

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can see, this is not the case of the 28. The sqare panels attached with screws are just covers and not attached to the lens. I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean by the retaining ring -- do you know where I might find a picture?

cheers,

Dan

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi dan!

remove the square panels and look behind them. set back in the opening that those panels cover, you will probably find four screws near the outer corners, and i suspect you will find that these screws are loose.

the retaining ring would be the outermost ring, the one marked (1) in this photo: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/images/canonetrear.jpg .....in the QL17 this ring has a LEFT HAND thread; in nearly all other cameras it's right-hand threaded. i don't know about the canonet 28, i don't recall if i've ever worked on that model.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration