Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Wobbly lens on Konica S3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Wobbly lens on Konica S3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

frank

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A recent message reminded me of a camera of mine with a similar problem - the lens is wobbly. Specifically, the shutter part of the lens, closest to the camera is firm, its the front 1/2 of the lens/shutter assembly that is loose. I'm guessing I'll have to go into the lens from the front until I get to a point where there will be a loose retaining ring, or a few screws. Does this assumption sound right? I'm not too experienced at this yet but I'm eager to learn.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As you say the shutter assembly is fix there may be two reasons left for the wobbly lens:
1. Three small screws within the lens assemly became loose. That is quite often. The result is a wobbly front part of the lens barrel but the image quality is not affected. Unscrew the retainer ring for the nameplate ring, take the nameplatering with the meter cell carefully out. The wires for the cell should be long enough. A flat ring with holes and slashes is to be taken out. Then unscrew the front lens cell. The 3 screws are below the lens cell. Tighten them and secure them with a kind of glue. It is also a good occasion to check for stickyness and to remove any kind of dust of the glass.
2. The whole lens assembly is a bit loose. If it is a lot it might influence focus accuracy and image quality. The retainer ring for the whole lens cell might be not tightened enough. This is a weak point of the Auto S3 construction and happens often as well. Viewed from the back side into the lens it is the outermost ring and it has two tiny slots. With a tool you have to tinker or a lens spanner you can tighten it. But it is a delicate job. You have to apply a lot of force and you risk to harm the lens or the ring if you slip.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration