Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL-17 Shutter Tools Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canonet QL-17 Shutter Tools « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just gotten a Canonet and believe I've got the classic stuck shutter blades issue. My self timer is stuck all the way over and nothing happens when I press the shutter button. Light meter and everything else works well. I have a battery in it.

I'm going to try the naptha solution through the self timer fix, but if that doesn't work I may have to 'go in'. I've read the article on this site about how to do it, but I don't have access to a bench grinder to make my own tool to take the rear lens assembly apart. Can anyone else recommend a tool or method I can use instead to do the work?

Peter Wallage

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you've got a small blow lamp, or even a gas stove, a file and a vice you can make the tool from a steel scraper. Heat the blade to red and let it cool off to soften it. File it to shape and then heat it again to red and quench it in oil - any old oil will do. This will harden it, then you really ought to temper it or the tips may be too brittle. Clean it with emery cloth and play a flame about an inch behind the tip. Watch the colours travel from the part you're heating, and when blue reaches the tip quench it again. Job done.

Peter

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will,
I use a dremel tool grinder attached to a drill. I'm too cheap to buy the dremel tool but the fittings work well on a standard drill. Speeds up the grinding over a file.
Sean

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration