Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat 124g Won't focus to infin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Mat 124g Won't focus to infinity! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hugh Holden

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I just acquired a used Yashica Mat 124G and it seems to have a problem focusing out to infinity. The front plate that holds both lenses and moves in and out when you turn the focus knob is not aligned straight. The top part of the plate comes in contact with the camera body when you focus out to about 30ft/10m but the bottom part of the plate has a gap of about 2.5MM between the lens plate and the camera body. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is there an easy fix? Would a routine CLA take care of this? I haven't shot any film with it yet so can't comment on how this problem effects the photos.

Thanks, Hugh

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like it might have been dropped and the front focusing panel bent. Not quite the stuff of a routine CLA, but probably repairable. Photos will come out badly focused, if the top and bottom lenses are no longer in the same vertical plane.....

Hugh Holden

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The exterior front cover of the lens housing is not bent (pt#204-303) but I guess it could be the inside cover (pt#6l-044) of the lens panel that is bent. When turning the focus knob past 30ft or 10m to infinity, it will not stay but backlashes back to 30ft. I read in one of the archives that torqing the focus knob nut too tight might cause a problem with the lens panel moving causing the focusing to be out of registar. I'm not sure if this would cause the top and bottom lens not to be on the same plane. My lens panel is actually tilted with the top of the panal about 2.5mm closer to the camera body then the bottom part. Can someone give me a clue how to remove the focus knob without damaging it.

Thanks, Hugh

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The subframe beneath the front panel has mounting lugs by which it is attached to the main chassis casting. If (as it appears) the camera has been dropped, the lugs are clearly bent. You can straighten them and check for square and parallel with a vernier. Next move: Ex factory those lugs usually have some shim washers as to fine tune the trim. You may have to do the same in order to achieve perfect alignment and focus.

Hope this helps

Stuart Willis
[email protected]

Hugh Holden

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to Rick and Stuart for your input. It appears looking at the assembly charts that the focus arms that the lens panel is attached to would be the most likely parts to be bent. I am guessing this is what Stuart is referring to as the "lugs". I think this is going to be a job for Mark Hama or the Camera Wiz Frank Marhsman as this is a little beyond my expertise.

Thanks again,
Hugh

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration