Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How do I un-jam my Ricoh XR500? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » How do I un-jam my Ricoh XR500? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem with my Ricoh XR500. It's a pretty basic, fully-manual SLR. The mirror is stuck in the up position, and I can't wind it. The mirror itself is not actually stuck- I can pull it down with my finger, but a spring pulls it back up. The shutter (metal blades) is closed. Can someone give me a tip on the likeliest place to look for where the mechanism is hanging up? If there's a good how-to article posted on the web, can you give me the address? Thanks! --Scott

Gudbjorn Humlen

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure, but my KR 10 use to have the same problem.
The battereis is out , or batteries or / and
connections are not clean.
My camera can be released at manual speed
who is like flash speed. ( My is 1:125 sek )
Before changing bat., You may take out batteries and clean - and give them a "good body teperature"
And always have spare batteries if you need
the picktures.
Shuld like to know how it went on.
gudbjorn@c2i.net
G Humlen, Alesund , Norway

Scott

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it's a mechanical problem rather than electrical. The battery in mine is only for the meter. I think the shutter should work OK whether there's a battery in it or not. I'm guessing the mechanics are a little dirty somewhere, which is preventing something that should be moving from moving like it should. I'm just a little apprehensive about taking it apart. I've fixed quite a few rangefinder cameras, but this is the first SLR I have owned.

tonyv

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to the Ricoh website, and search for the forum, then a search on what your problem is. It's a bit fiddly, took quite a while for me and I've since lost the link.
BUT..... I had the problem with the flat battery in the KR 10 [sorted by getting new batteries and leaving the camera in a warm place for a few days]...... the post I read there involved taking off the bottom plate and fiddling around with the cams, which released the winder ratchet... apparently it works for all-mechanical ricohs.

sorry to sound so vague, but the answer is out there on the ricoh forum

Stuart Willis

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a while since I serviced a KR10 and I do not have any notes instantly to hand BUT - your first test should be to see if functionality is restored when the shutter dial is set to the flash-synch speed.

The second move is to replace the batteries with new.

The "mirror-up" and non-return is typical of some Ricoh models (and many other makes) when the batteries are flat - because the mechanism is solenoid-dependent.

If functionality is not restored on flash-synch speed - and/or with new batteries - then you are looking at a mechanical malfunction. As another respondent has pointed out - you may well find the error under the baseplate.

harko5

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on the Ricoh is electronically controlled. Without good batteries, it won't fire. I have 2. A KR10 and a KR30. Both are that way.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration