Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kowa seT issues/problems-need help. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kowa seT issues/problems-need help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guy

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've acquired a Kowa seT in mint shape. I don't think it's seen much use. Everything seems so new!However, the wind lever is stuck half way,and the mirror is up? Pressing down on shutter release, moves, but nothing happens. Cannot see anything via the viewfinder. I've replaced the battery, still no action. I've done some basic camera repairs, although still in a learning stage on repairs,and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i haven't worked on an seT, but i have on an seTR and TR2; my sketches aren't as thorough as they might be, but to get to the mirror mechanism you have to remove the top cover, peel back the leather on each side of the lens and remove 4 screws to take off the front panel. from there you can remove 4 more screws and the shutter comes out. the meter will probably get out of adjustment so note carefully the position of the meter movement so you can get it back the same way on reassembly. my notes also say the shutter must be set to 1/15 sec to remove and replace the front panel, not sure if this would apply to the seT too but there's a good chance......

:)=

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just finished cleaning the shutter on my SET. I also stumbled across the mechanical link of the shutter/aperture dial to the meter. I think it's the best to remove the top cover, set the shutter/aperture to extreme values (e.g. f/1.8 and B) and lock the galvanometer housing by glueing a piece of tape across it and the body. Now you can remove the shutter cover which also holds the coupling gears of the dials to the meter. Don't know whether this is the official method but I think it will work.

Guy

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A BIG THANK YOU to both of you guys. I'll try this over the next two weeks and advise on my success. Really thinking positive before I tackle this project. Thanks again, it's greatly appreciated. Guy

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even if you lost the lightmeter coupling, with trial and error you can readjust it. You can lift the front assembly on the upper right corner and carefully turn the galvanometer mount step by step until the lightmeter shows more or less correct values again. Fine tuning can be done by loosening two screws on the galvanometer mount and turning the galvanometer against its seat.

Guy

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again Winfried. Can't say it enough times..it's sincerely greatly appreciated!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration