Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Opening an ibsor shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Opening an ibsor shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jani Heikkinen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I am trying to open ibsor shutter for cleaning, but I don't understand how to open it up(I have serviced other shutters before). This shutter is pre-war design. Any help is appreciated.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What sort of Ibsor is it? I'm looking at the one I have that I serviced, which is on a Voigtländer Vag (a 6x9 folding plate camera): it's a self-cocking shutter with speeds from 1 to 1/250.

It was pretty easy to get the front plate off: one screw for the speed dial, another for the shutter release lever, and (I think) one under the aperture scale which is held on by 2 screws. Is your shutter like this?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, sorry: make that "speeds to 1/125".

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes it's the same kind of vag I'm trying to open up.
Under the speed dial there are two brass screws, are they needed to be taken off?(The brass screws in my vag seem to be very jammed)
What about the part where you attach the remote trigger, does it need to be taken off in order to open the cover?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, remove the screws under the speed dial; I forgot about those. If they're stuck, you could try injecting some solvent (alcohol or acetone, something like that) to reduce the risk of ruining the screws.

Leave the cable release socket on.

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, those brass screws are just so tight that I didn't want to risk breaking them without knowing if their removal is really needed.
What kind of solvent did you use for cleaning the shutter? it's just that I remember having read somewhere that the shutter/apertureblades of these old shutters don't stand the use of some solvents. I usually use an electronics cleaning spray that evaporates 100%.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used paint thinner. The blades in those shutters are no more susceptible to damage than any other shutter blades: they're just tempered steel.

Now I use lighter fluid (often called by its trade name in the U.S., "Ronsonol", though cheaper substitutes are just as good).

The only parts of the shutter you need to be careful of are painted surfaces, which I'd avoid using something as strong as lacquer thinner (acetone) on. Otherwise, any good clean solvent will do. I prefer paint thinner or lighter fluid as they generate much less vapor and smell.

For a general guide to cleaning old shutters (not Ibsors, but the Compur is close), you can check my web page.

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

It was actually the rear plate that was supposed to be taken off. None of the front screws were needed to be removed. After removing the screws at the back of the shutter, the shutter opened, iris mechanism was removed as one piece and I noticed that the mechanism was built into the painted front part, so ibsor is built in a kind of reverse if compared to compurs..

Winfried

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daniel Mitchell (www.daniel.mitchell.name) mentions the Ibsor shutter on his excellent page. It seems very similar to the post-war east-german Junior shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration