Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Back wont open ! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Back wont open ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a very unusual camera in a thrift store. Its a 'Continental TXL'. On the base it says 'Made in Hong Kong'. Its a single lens reflex with a real pentaprism but a fixed 40F2.8 Conar lens. It is aperture priority auto - powered by 2 AA's. It takes either 64, 100 or 400 film (no DX capability). It has a built-in push-up flash. In the viewfinder is a microprism and split-image, under and over exposure LED's and a flash-ready light.
Winding is by thumbwheel and rewind by conventional manual crank.

Well thats the description. My problem, the back wont open! It operates by pulling up on the rewind lever but the back does not open. Any ideas? I really dont know how those back catches work.

John Farrell

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They lift a bar which hooks onto the back. The problem could be rotted light seals, gluing the back into the body groove. Try lifting the rewind knob, and while it's lifted, levering the back. Use a plastic or wooden lever, to avoid scratches.

miles

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed. Pulling on the rewind know extends it by 6mm. At which point the spring on the hook engages. After another 3mm the door opens.

The Continetal TXL does not have much light seal material. There is only a little bit by the hinge. The light is trapped by a groove around the door on the body, and a 1.5mm flange on the door that mates with it. Prying the door may bend the flange.

It is an interesting camera, especially the guide number focusing feature.

David

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I managed to get it open by prying it with a thin piece of metal. The catch was working, its just that the back was too tight a fit, I'll sandpaper the edges of the back a little.

Boy this camera is unusual. I wonder who made it? The shutter is the mirror flap. It works a bit like a Topcon Unirex.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration