Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Speed Graphic stuff Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Speed Graphic stuff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Pearce

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, they don't come more 'classic' than this! I'm putting an Ann. Speed Graphic (4x5) back into working condition. It looks as if the bellows, shutter, and RF (Hugo Meyer) are shot.
On the other hand, it has a very nice 15cm f4.5 Voigtlander Skopar lens in a working Compur dial-set shutter. Any advice is welcome.
Mark P

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Advice? Hmm ... get yourself a nice Kodak Ektar 127mm in Supermatic shutter. Excellent lens, and it will look more appropriate than that ancient Skopar/Compur. (Not that the Skopar's a bad lens. Is it coated, by the way? I'm guessing not.)

Then (if I were you and wanted to spend the $$) I'd get a 100mm Wide Field Ektar (very good alternative to the Super Angulon).

You can just ignore the shutter (focal-plane) for now, and fix it when you find a nice barrel lens.

frank

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely check out this site: Graphlex.org

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frank;
Been there, done that. I've been on their forum since April 2002. So far they've been less than helpful. I did find out hoe to hook the solonoid up to my three-cell Heiland flashgun.
Mark P.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

get yourself a nice Kodak Ektar 127mm in Supermatic shutter. Excellent lens, and it will look more appropriate than that ancient Skopar/Compur. (Not that the Skopar's a bad lens. Is it coated, by the way? I'm guessing not.)

David;
Love those Ektars myself, but this thing will be used as a press camera at WW II re-enactments, so I'd like to keep it 'original' The Ektar is also period, but I've got the Skopar in hand, the shutter works, so I'll go with that. They are both uncoated Tessar types, so it might be six of one, half a dozen of the other.
The rear shutter I can fix/re-coat (I think), but I'd really like to find a bellows and a Kalart RF to replace the Meyer.
Mark P.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minor corrections: the Ektar is most definitely coated (look for the "L" for "Lumenized"). I don't think a dialset Compur really belongs on a Graphic: too old-fashioned. (The Ektar/Supermatic combos date from the WWII period.) But yes, they're all Tessar designs.

I've seen a number of parts cameras on eBay, so that might be a good place to watch.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David;
True, 'l' marked Ektars are coated, but not all Ektars were. Kodak was a lot quicker off the mark re:coating than a lot of others. The 101mm Ektar on my Mini Speed is coated, vintage of 1944.
Lots of pics of dial-set Compurs in Graflex literature of the early forties.
And I'm stalking on the evil eBay, fear not.
Mark P.
BTW, the Hugo Meyer RF worked great after I cleaned all the dead spiders out of it (really!).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration