Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica R3 back door Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Leica R3 back door « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jos SLECHTEN

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently on a flea market I found an R3 body in a very shoddy state but everything seems to work (I'm not talking about accuracy): the needle of the exposure meter, the spot/average switch, the shutter, the diaphragm actuation lever and the depth of field preview lever. It has however a particular defect: you cannot close the back door. It seems as if the moving part of the latch mechanism cannot be pushed up far enough by the closing door. I suppose it has something to do with the alignment of this mechanism.
Does anybody on this forum can give me some advice if this is easy to fix on this camera or if the only future use of this camera body should be as a mantle piece? Providers of useful tips will be gratefully remembered forever.

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the retaining latch on the body stuck up, letting the door shut but not latch? If so there is a piece bent under the left side cover.

I have a couple R3's here, so we can compare where the latch is located.

Henry

Jos SLECHTEN

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,

I checked again and when I pulled up the rewind lever the retaining latch on the body moved upward over a distance of about 2 mm. The back door can be pushed home to close completely (flush with the body) but it does not lock. Apparently the stationary part of the latch mechanism on the door is fixed too low (or the latch mechanism on the body is fixed too high).

I have a hunch that the vertical position of the door latch can be modified, i.e. the alignment screws become accessible, when you pry away some of the covering on the left side of the back door. Am I correct?

Jos

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's about how much my R3's move up too. So the stroke length probably isn't the problem.

Doubt the adjustment is under the leatherette on the door. It might be under the panel on the body. See the screws by the moving latch? I've never taken either of my two R3's off so I'm not sure what is under there.

But still I'm guessing you'll have to remove the left top cover. The top cover is composed of three pieces. The left one may come off without removing the center cover. I know that the right side can be removed without disturbing the center cover. Never taken the left off by itself.

Not something simple like the hooks being bent, broken or worn?

If need be I'll remove the side panel on mine to check, but you can check it just as easily on yours.

Henry

Jos SLECHTEN

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just turned out that the back is warped, not much but enough to prevent smooth closure: it closes when I gently push the back door to the right, towards the film take-up spool.

Henry, many thanks for your suggestions and help.

Jos

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration