Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit EM- removing film advance assem... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Zenit EM- removing film advance assembly? And grub screws... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Padden

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I'm trying to remove the film advance assembly on a 1975 Zenit EM, in order to fix a dint in the outer film advance ring. I recall there being some guidance on this on Tom Piel's fine page at http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/zenrep/zen11disam.html , but the site appears to be unavailable. Can anyone confirm that the plate in the middle of the frame advance assembly (with the two small diametrically opposite holes) must be removed clockwise? Or anticlockwise? I've tried gently both ways, but turning it clockwise seems to drive the film advance mechanism.

I've also found that the grub screw holding the flash select ring has split, so if anyone can suggest a suitable supplier for a replacement, that would be a Wonderful Thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
All the best

Matt
Glasgow, UK
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Gill

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt -

The plate with the two screws in the film advance is removed by turning it clockwise, it is a left-hand thread so you turn it the opposite way to how you would normally loosen a screw. I had similar problems with a zenit e, the ratchet in the advance mechanism was not holding so removal was impossible - I had to saw off the film advance ring!

I replaced these parts from another defunct zenit e, from which I also had to pinch a grub screw for the flash select ring (they are very fragile and the head will break if any pressure is applied). My own experience of Zenits is that you have to buy a few before you get one that is right.

If the problem is merely cosmetic, I wouldn't worry about it.

Check out the Zenit Camera Group on Yahoo for advice, it is now run by Tom Piel, the creator of the site you mentioned.

Richard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration