Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FL lens mount Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon FL lens mount « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aaron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help!
I have removed the silver screw on the silver retaining ring of my 50/1.4 FL lens, hoping to remove the rear element to clean. However the silver ring cannot be removed. Now I cannot put the screw back, for there is something which springs into the path of the screw and blocks it. How can I put it back again? Thanks

Jim Bielecki

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The silver breech lock ring unscrews in the opposite direction from normal (turn the ring clockwise with the back of the lens facing you). Mine unscrewed in two full turns. There's nothing back there to obstruct the attachment screw so I'm guessing that you don't have the ring back fully to its rest position. Try again and let us know what happened.

Aaron

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jim for the help. Yes I didn't have the ring back fully to its rest position. Now I have put back the screw. By the way how can I tear down this lens properly?

Jim Bielecki

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off, it depends on which FL 50mm F1.4 you're talking about. Canon redesigned this lens in 1968 so disassembly will differ depending on the variety you're talking about. Check the Canon Museum website for more info.

For the second 50mm F1.4 variety, You should be able to remove the front lens group fairly easy. Use a drain stopper or something similar to remove the front trim ring, then use the appropriate lens spanner to remove the front group. This should give you access down to the diaphragm.

I've never removed the rear lens group on one of these lenses so I can't be of much help here. It looks like removing the three screws around the edge of the back plate would give pretty easy access to the rear lens group which probably unscrews.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jim for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration