Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Novar Lens on Ikonta 521 fogged betwe... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Novar Lens on Ikonta 521 fogged between elements « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Schabert

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zeiss Ikonta 521 and the lens has fogged between the elements. Has anyone repaired one?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean fogged between elements or fogged between cells? Have you removed the cells and looked at them?

I've found that most (not all) fogging in old camera lenses can be removed by cleaning the outer surfaces of the cell. I use ordinary window cleaner (Windex), denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner, in order of increasing strength. Have you tried cleaning these surfaces?

rick oleson

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are no cemented pairs in a Novar, so you should be able to reach all glass surfaces without much difficulty.

:)=

ezio

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The front element can be removed (unscrewed) by first unscrewing the small protruding screw that act as a "bump stopper" at the infinitum position. This gives you access to the aft face of the front lens and the front face of the second lens. If the fog persists after cleaning rhese, then you should remove (unscrew) the back element,working from inside the camera (there is a clearly visible ring with two notches). It is actually easier than my description would seem to suggest.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration