Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to clean a M42 (black) Jena Tessa... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » How to clean a M42 (black) Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter blades of old M42 mount Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens are stuck wide open. Are there any ways to dissemble the lens from the front to clean the blades? I'd appreciate some help.

Michael Tan

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this link to Chris Sherlocks's website for instructions to disassemble a Pentax lens. The principles are more or less the same.
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7ESrawhiti/pentax50mmf1.4.html

Ben

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your link, Michael. However, I can not remove the the decorative trim ring as I did to other Japanese lenses, no matter how hard I tried. I can't help thinking if the trim ring had been cemented to some point of the lens barrel. Please advise me of more options.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben,

You might have checked this already, but are there any tiny set screws that would prevent the trim ring from unscrewing? Sometimes they are only visible when you extend the focusing ring all the way. Sometimes they are also on the lens side (inner filter side).

Which version Tessar is this - silver aluminum mount, or the later black one?

Good luck,

Jan

Ben

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan,

I have carefully checked to see if there are any tiny screws that secure the trim ring already. There aren't any even when I extend the focusing ring all the way, neither on the inner filter side.

My Tessar is a later black one. It is an aus Jena DDR T 28/50.

I still need more of your advice and help.

Ben

Gary A. Turner

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just cleaned the aperture blades on a later Tessar 2.8/50 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR #323291 (M42 lens). That lens was rather easy to disassemble from the front (& rear if you need a more thorough cleaning of elements, etc.).

The front inner barrel on mine screwed out in one unit using a rubber stopper.

On another Tessar variant (the so-called 'Zebra' metal barrelled & ringed lens) the inner filter trim ring unscrews separately. Neither of these 2 lens types have any surface screws in the filter trim rings to remove. In both versions, the inside surfaces of the filter trim ring or inner barrel may have been coated with an adhesive. You can try dabbing naptha around the filter trim ring (on the Zebra type) to help loosen things, then use some appropriate force with a rubber stopper to spin the ring counterclockwise. On the plastic smooth inner focusing barrel variant you can place the stopper on the raised part of the inner barrel. Hope this all makes some sense. If not, please reply.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration