Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT-101 mirror and shutter. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta SRT-101 mirror and shutter. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Pearce

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am attempting to replace the mirror on an SRT-101 that also has mirror/shutter issues (Mirror stays up on speeds under 1/250). Any pointers on cracking this camera open? I've worked a lot on Contax RF, Rollei TLRs and press cameras, but never tackeled anything with a mirrorbox before.
Mark P.

Ed

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds like the curtain tension is too weak. to adj, remove bottom cover and you will find the two adj cogs--one for each curtain. If the curtain (the second one) doesn't cross with enough force the mirror will not be released to come back down.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Ed, I'll start from there.
Any tips on the mirror replacement?
Mark P.

Lee Crump

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Removing the Top Cover
1. Pull out on the Rewind Knob to open the Back Cover, then push the knob back in and insert the blade of a screwdriver or similar tool into the slot in the Rewinding Shaft to hold it, so you can then unscrew (CCW) and remove the Rewind Knob.

2. Unscrew (CCW) and remove the Rewind Seat using an appropriate Spanner Wrench.

3. Remove the Winding Lever Cap using a 5/8" Flexiclamp to unscrew it (CCW), then take off the winding lever Spring, the Washer and the Winding Lever.

4. Loosen and remove the Plate Screw on top of the Shutter Speed Dial, then remove the Shutter Speed Dial, the ASA Dial, the Plate Spring and the Speed Knob.

5. Loosen and remove the three Cover Screws 1, 2, and 3.

6. In the case of the later SRTs such as the 102, 202, 303 and Super, you will need to remove the Front Prism Cover. First remove the 2 Chrome Phillips screws on either side of the cover (See Fig. A) . Carefully pull the cover forward to remove it from the camera body. This cover is plated plastic, so be careful not to break it. If this cover is stubborn, you can use a knife blade to carefully separate it from the Top Cover. Now, remove the 2 special, slotted screws from the front of the Top Cover, just exposed (See Fig. B).

7. Remove the front cover Red Index Screw Assembly (3 parts) located on the front frame. See My Article "That Darn Red Screw" for hints on removal. These parts are often difficult to remove and can be easily damaged. Now carefully remove the Top Cover from the camera body.

Caution: The Shutter Button and the Button Keeper can now fall out, so it would be best to remove them at this time, to prevent their loss. Screw the Rewind Seat back on so as not to lose the Spacing Washer (not shown) that is on top of the rewind mechanism

1. Loosen and remove two Cover Screws 4 and 5 and then remove the Bottom Cover from the camera body.

Caution: The Bottom Cover may stick on the camera's left side, due to a small piece of foam under it that may have degraded with age and become sticky, pull slowly and do not mar or bend the cover.

Sorry the forum will not let me post the diagrams.
NJOI

Sam

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,

Do you mean to replace just only the mirror itself, I had replaced the mirror on my SR-7 (the reflection aluminum coating of the mirror was coming off from it), I DON'T suggest to do it unless you have no choice, because the angle of the mirror must be in absolutely 45 degree, and the thickness of the mirror must be exactly like before.

To remove the mirror is simple, just unscrew the four retained screws on the mirror, then use a thin cutter knife insert in between the mirror and holder in order to cut the glue, you must be very patient to do it, otherwise, you will damage the alignment of 45 degree and thickness. Now, remove all the old glue on the mirror holder, put glue on you new mirror and put it on the holder.

Finally check the focus is still same as before. Merry Christmas.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love it when the past returns!
Sam, my Minolta fix has been back in the hands of my in-laws for six months. They almost liked me for a while. But thanks for checking old posts.
Mark P.
(now, if only someone would come forward with the film counter parts I STILL need for a Kodak Medalist.....)

bob arden

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

regarding the srt101 I sent earlier email regarding mirror not returning and shutter being slightly open on return - you mentioned tension on cogs for each side of curtain - taking off the bottom cover I see a dark cog that moves a lever that pulls the second lever - how do you increase tension.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would not alter the shutter tension, Bob. Usually a single dot of oil will correct this problem--if you know where to place it. I have prepared two annotated images. If you want to see them, please e:mail me at: Jon_Goodman@yahoo.com. Please put SRT101 fix in the reference line.

Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration