Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Damn detent balls! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Damn detent balls! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

franksbmw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a trick to re-installing these little buggers? The ones in my 50mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tessar have got me beat. One is under the aperture ring (which now turns freely with too little friction because I finally left the ball out, and another for the auto/manual aperture stop-down switch)

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I struggled with one of these on a Leitz Elmarit 90/2.8 lens... finally figured out how to do it. The little spring goes in the hole, then the ball, with a bit of grease (I use a stiff silicone grease made for vacuum sealing) to hold the ball in place. I aligned the aperture ring over the assembly, then inserted a 'feeler gauge', a thin steel leaf which is made for setting automobile sparkplugs and the like and used it as a shoehorn to press the ball/spring into the hole. These usually come in a set with all different thicknesses from about .001" to .015". I held this vertical pressing on the ball, then pressed down on the aperture ring so that it wedged the leaf into place slipping the aperture ring into its location. As I recall I used about a .004" steel leaf, which curved to fit the ring and then slipped out after the ring was in place. Works well now.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jim,
I once watched a pro techie put detent balls back in a lens. He used a very similar idea to yours, but instead of a feeler gauge he used a ring of shim steel stock, about a quarter of an inch wide, with two ears on it, rather like the capital Greek letter Omega. He put the spring and ball in place, wrapped the ring clamp round it, held the 'ears' together and pushed the two parts of the lens together. As the lens went together it pushed the clamp aside - similar in a way to fitting piston rings in a cylinder bore.

Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration