Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak synchro 800 shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kodak synchro 800 shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

chris burck

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anyone have any experience with them? what kind of things do i want to look for if it's not firing?

David Ritchie

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, I had to clean an 800 shutter with several washes of Ronsonol before it operated ok. I removed it from the camera and then removed the lens to better flush the shutter from my Kodak Tourist. Not too difficult. As best I remember I saw several little black specs in the Ronsonol after the first flushes. Let it dry thoroughly, test and flush again until ok. You may need a full can of Ronsonol. Good luck.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade, but the method just described (otherwise known as the "dunk it in lighter fluid and hope for the best" method) is a chancy way at best to try to fix shutters.

Lighter fluid is indeed a good solvent to use, but there are two problems with this method:

1. In order to really flush all the gunk and dirt out of a shutter, it really needs to be disassembled, right down to the shutter blades. Otherwise, what you're doing is relocating at least some of the gunk and dirt to places where they can really foul things up, like the shutter blade pivots or the blades themselves.

2. Contrary to some popular mythology, shutters do need some lubrication to operate properly: specifically, light oil on the bearings of any clockwork. If you use lighter fluid to remove this lubricant without replacing it, you may actually make the shutter operate worse than before.

If you're not capable of tearing the shutter down (or just don't want to), the soak-n-go method can sometimes work. Just be aware of the possibility of ending up with a badly-running shutter, which will then require disassembling.

chris burck

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the gummed lubricant issue, while i'm sure the 800 is not immune to it, is a pretty universal problem. i was hoping someone might have info about the 800 in particular. i have read that it has a peculiar mechanism (double-tipped blades) in order to obtain the 1/800th fastest speed, which is at the root of why these shutters are less reliable than most.

is anyone familiar with this aspect of the 800? are the related mechanical problems especially problematic to fix?

Gomi

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Synchro Rapid 800 version. It's more complicated because it has a second set of shutter blades, behind the first, which stay closed while the main shutter blades are reset.

Brian Kuehn

Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This shutter is a $#%&* pain. I have several of them. I purchased an original kodak repair publication for the synchro-rapid 800 shutter and I've completely disassembled/reassembled 3 of them. Even when properly taken apart, cleaned, and put back together, they may not work right. This shutter is NOTORIOUS for unreliability. Kodak wanted to be king of the hill with the TOP shutter speed of any leaf shutter. The Compurs and Prontors ONLY go to 1/500th. The 1/800th never was really that fast on the day the shutter left the factory. In general, this is a shutter to stay away from if you intend to use it. I will probably try to substitute a supermatic (which is a wonderful, durable, reliable kodak shutter) on one of my Tourists. I don't know that this will work, but the sizes look like they might. Brian Kuehn [email protected]

23fan

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I am looking for a replacement for the Kodak Synchro-Rapid 800 shutter. Has anyone had any luck in finding an equivalent shutter which can accept the lens cells from the 800? Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration