Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning a Leicameter MR Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Cleaning a Leicameter MR « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a leicameter MR (black) which needs some cleaning. Obviously, a battery has leaked some fluid into the body, which is visible on the back of the meter window.

My problem is that I find no obvious way to open the meter. There are some screws on the bottom simultaneously holding the accessory foot, but removing these does not help.

Since I don't want to use too brute force on this precious thing I thought I'd better ask you before I proceed. Do I have to remove the scale disks on top of the meter? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mick

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mick,

The discs on top will have to come off. If I recall correctly, there are also some screws on the short side of the meter, right above where the rewind crank of the camera would be.

Be careful when removing the discs, you will need a proper spanner to fit into the tiny holes in the center mounting screw. You don't want to scratch it - you probably know how Leica owners are about their equipment. I know, being one of them.... ;-)

Jan

Mick

Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jan. I will make a careful try and report on the success later on.

Mick

Mick

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have removed the screws on the side as well as the discs and found two screws under the latter. I removed them too, and then I could lift the cover a little. However, I did not manage to get it off completely - it still seems to be fixed. I found no obvious way to proceed - seems that I am stuck again... Is there another screw under the battery sticker? Do I have to shift or turn or press something?

Pleeez, one more hint in this puzzle....

Mick

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mick,

Can you see where the cover hangs up? Is yours the MR-4 type (top switch), or the earlier side switch version? Are there no other screws hidden by tape under the discs?

It has been a while since I took one of these apart.... I will have look at my meter at home to see if anything jogs my memory.

Good luck,

Jan

Henry

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little switch must be turned in the direction of the arrow to release the top cover.

Henry

Mick

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea what type of Leicameter it is. On the side it only says Leicameter MR. I have put some images of the meter on my website:

http://feuerbacher.net/photo/repair/Leicameter/Leicameter.html

The place where the cover seems to hang up is close to the battery compartment (the cover of which I have meanwhile removed togehter with the accessory foot) at the position where a black plastic strip runs from the bottom to the front lever. I have marked the corner with an arrow in Fig. 2. I found no screws or anything else that seems to hold the cover there.

What about the range switch? Does it come off with the cover or do I have to remove it first? If so, how is this done? I guess that the top lever and the time selection wheel on the bottom can stay in place.

Following Henrys advice I have turned the top lever in the direction of the arrow and lifted the cover. Something clicked inside and now the lever runs loose, but the top cover still does not come off. It is now, however, not possible to put it back into the original position. :-(

I would be very grateful for further hints.

Mick

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mick,

What you have is an MR-4 meter. I looked at my meter at home and truly do not remember how it came apart anymore. Have you tried gentle prying of the superstructure away from the body of the meter, in the area where it sticks?

I would really like to help you - three Konica S-2's are sitting in my 'to do' box, with your detailed instructions; I would love to reciprocate!

Jan

Henry

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mick,

You have broadband? I'm on AIM right now...henrytaber2

Contact me and I'll send you the army M2 service manual that has a meter in it.

Henry

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was hoping for the 'heavy guns' to come in with more help than I could offer. And I have apologize for not thinking of that manual as well, since I have it too! Mick, let me know on this board if you have trouble receiving Henry's copy and I will be happy to forward it to you.

Jan

Mick

Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forced myself to use my brain over and over again, and finally I found the trick. What you have to do is to move the battery-test button to the left and simultaneously lift the cover. Then it comes off easily. Pffffff.

So, Henry, you had the right intuition that a button was involved in the story, you merely referred to the wrong one. Doesn't matter, however, now it is done. I have already put the article telling the whole story on my website

http://feuerbacher.net/photo/repair/Leicameter/Leicameter.html

Many thanks to both of you for your continuous care and advice. I would nevertheless be very grateful if one of you could send me a copy of the repair manual, since, as you can see below, I still have a (serious) problem. I will contact both of you by email in a week or so, because I will be on a business travel for the next couple of days.

Yes, unfortunately, the story is not over yet. I managed to open the cover and to clean the window as I wanted but now I seem to have an electrical problem. The meter does not give any readings. My first inspection yields the following results:
-The Battery check function works properly
-The Meter cell works. I have measured the voltage directly at the wires leaving the cell and found varying values in the 0-1.3 V range depending on the intensity of the incoming light.
-The activator switch (the slider connected to the lever on the top cover) works.

I have no idea what the origin of this sudden failure is. I have cleaned the contacts after my initial repair with contact cleaner spray. Maybe I shouldnt have done that...? Well, I am going to check the wires next and let you know what I found. If you have suggestions already now, they are welcome of course.

Mick

Henry

Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I have never opened one of these. Unfortunately :-) mine works. Knowing me I might have read the disassembly instructions wrong.

I'm sending the manual. It covers the M2 body, flash, lenses and a meter. Maybe not your meter exactly but could still help.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration