Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FT QL battery Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon FT QL battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom Cloud

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need (and love) my FT QL -- but can't find a battery for it. I had it serviced several years ago and they replaced the mercury battery with, I think, an "air" battery.

The battery has no markings on it, and the battery cover only says "1.3 volt".

Does anyone know where I can get a battery -- or some suitable work-around?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

below is a 'copy and paste' of a previous thread, dealing with a Minollta, fully applicable to your Canon:
If the original battery contained mercury, a usesble replacement is a #675 hearing aid battery. They don't last as long but at about $1 each they are inexpensive compared to the cost of film and processing. They are quite small and may need spacers and shims of some kind to fit the battery compartment but once done you need only replace the battery as needed.

By Jan Dvorak on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:16 pm:

Hello Kelli,

Another sollution is to use an adapter, which will allow you to use a 76 type photo battery (available as silver-oxide and lithium), which is more suitable for photo applications. The adapter converts the battery's 1.5 voltage to the 1.35 Volt that your SRT 102 needs. The adapter is a little costly, but once bought, can be used in any camera requiring the PX625 / PX13 battery.
The 76 type battery is readily available just about anywhere, lasts much longer than the hearing aid battery and the adapter/battery combination does not need any spacers.

Here is the link to the site which sells the adapter (and I am in no way associated with the seller - just providing information...)

http://www.criscam.com/mba.htm

Good luck,

Jan

By miles on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:23 pm:

Hello Kelli,

Another sollution is to make your own adapter like the CRIS one Jan cites, only better. This adapter is a less costly. See,

http://www.rolleiclub.nl/batterijadapterUS.php

If you are all thumbs, I do have a few PX625 / PX13 batteries for sale but it won't be cheap.

miles
Good luck,

Jan

John Farrell

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't need to use an expensive adapter with your FT. I am currently running mine on a zinc-air hearing aid cell, an AC13E. You can use any cell that will fit the battery holder - you may need some packing to allow the cell to work. I replaced the previous zinc-air cell after 6 months, only as a precaution. The meter was still working fine.

Charles Fallis

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last time I stopped by Ritz, I bought a #625 Wein battery for my Yashica Lynx 5000. No adapter, no shims, just drop it in and shoot. They were also selling Varta Batteries in the same size, but I don't think the Vartas were zinc-air and so they probably wouldn't have the right voltage.

Minh Nguyen

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom
I went to Walmart bought a 6pack hearing aid cell $6.00.
I then put a thin aluminum foil around the battery.
You know what ? Each battery last over a year
It is 1.4 volt. I check the meter
It is 99 percent correct and I get the photos
look better than with the mercury battery.
With a buck a year Who can beat it?
Try it you like it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration