Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Locked-up shutter and film advance, M... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Locked-up shutter and film advance, Minolta Hi-Matic E « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have a Hi-Matic E (also a Hi-matic F) that I'd like to fix, so I'm hoping to get some good advice from someone who's fixed this problem. The film advance is locked/jammed, so I can see absolutely no movement anywhere. I realize these have electronic and not mechanical shutters, but even without a battery, shouldn't you be able to wind and release the shutter like with my Yashica GSN? I realize it's likely that there may be a broken connection in the negative battery wire, but how would I know? There's no battery test lamp.

Curt

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,
My Minolta Hi Matic E, F, and G all wind fine with no battery. The F and G also fire the shutter no problem without a battery but the E I believe needs the battery. I say, "believe" because in my ignorance, when I bought the E I thought the shutter might be seized so I took the bottom cover off and accidentally broke one wire off the battery chamber. Now I have no idea where to re-attach it, so no idea if the camera will work or not. OOOppssy.

Gomi

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Minolta E doesn't fire without the two #640 batteries.

John Scott

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

without the batteries, are you supposed to be able to release and wind the film advance? Mine has a "electro control" lamp on the top cover. When is that supposed to light? Does the lamp light up only when the advance is fully wound? Does it go off after the shutter is released? I'm trying to get mine to work with 4 A76 batteries. Iknow that makes 6 volts, but does any body know whether that's enough voltage to damage something?

gomi

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without the batteries, you can advance and cock the shutter, but you won't be able to release it. With batteries, the lamp is supposed to light at this point, and should stay on until the shutter is released. The indicator lamp in the viewfinder should light also (color depends on mode/lighting level). The E was designed for two RM640 mercury cells (1.4 volts each), so four A76 cells would be too much. Mine works well with two PC640A alkaline cells.

gomi

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification on above - The lamp is supposed to light when the shutter release button is depressed.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is some difference between the Hi-Matic E and F. The E cannot be fired without a (working) battery. The F can be fired and wound without a battery - but the shutter does NOT open when pressing the shutter button, it just resets the double wind latch when pressing the button. You will also hear a clicking sound when pressing the button without batteries - but this is just the latch, the shutter won`t move.

The Hi-Matic G will fire without a battery but at 1/30 and f/2.8 only.

Bobbi

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchases a Minolta Maxxum AF 7000 camera from Ebay. I put the film in the camera (the batteries are new) and shut the back... nothing happens. I thought it was supposed to auto advance but this is not happeneing. Any suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration