Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14e Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Lynx 14e « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry Thomas

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been restoring this camera and so far have had great success. The last thing to do is to replace the white wire which goes from the battery box down to the "switch". It is very corroded; Even stripping it back as far as I can and still be able to splice to it. So it looks like a replace is the way to go. I discovered that I can not get to the switch from the bottom. So that must mean removing the lens. Studying on that some it appears that there are several wires for the meter and sync circuits involved. Also there is the shutter cocking rod, and a range finder coupling lever which concerns me. The shutter release looks like it will unhook without a problem. So what are the gottchas in getting the lens off and back on? Thank you

Winfried

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are no big problems removing the complete front assembly. For re-soldering the wire to the switch, you don't have to cut or unsolder the other wires, so you just leave them in place. The shutter release linkage is no problem. Only minor problem is the shutter cocking shaft which has to meet a 'socket' when reassembling the front assembly. Since it moves freely in a certain range you may have to turn it to proper position prior to reassembling, but the slot in the socket where the shaft fits in is clearly visible.

The range finder coupling also is no problem, the linkage is done via the rear rim of the lens barrel which hits a lever of the rangefinder assembly. Only thing to care about is not to loose or misbend the hairsping moving the punched plate for the bright frame for parallax compensation.

To remove the front part completely, remove the leatherette on the front. There are 4 screws close to the corners of the front plate.

The Lynx cameras are built quite straightforward mechanically and do not pose any big problems when disassembling.

lars

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am pretty sure I have a lynx 14e that has a cobbled up diaphragm, but the rest of the camera is clean, although I don't know what is working or not. I have to check for sure on the model, but I was playing around with GTN, Lynx 14 and 14e's, and I think this is the only one left. If you are interested in it as a parts camera to see how it comes apart, you are welcome to it for the shipping cost. The glass looks good as well, but the aperture ring is really locked in place and bent inside. I suspect all the circuitry is intact at least.

You can email me at [email protected] if you are interested in it for parts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration