Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 35ES (minolta hi-matic?) wobb... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Vivitar 35ES (minolta hi-matic?) wobbly lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Taylor

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I just got a Vivitar 35ES rangefinder - well used but working example. However, the lens barrel / assembly is quite wobbly. Anyone out there with suggestions on how to fix it?
Camera appears to be a clone of Minolta Himatic 7s2
Regards Phil Taylor

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes the wobbly lens is related to a loose shutter retainer ring. You can pull off the plastic 'hopper' you see through the film opening around the rear shutter collar. In the gap you can see the shutter retainer ring and reach it with a thin screwdriver. Push it clockwise by the notches. The plastic hopper can be pushed back again. Originally it is glued in place but will hold secure enough without glue. Make sure it does not touch the film opening when focussing back and forth.

But in some cases the play in the lens mount seems to be related to poorly machined helicoids, and is not fixable.

BTW, the 35ES actually is very similar to the 7SII. There is a german retailer's label version of the 35ES, called Revue400SE.

Phil Taylor

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried
Thanks for the reply - You've got me really puzzled now. Presumably you mean looking in through the film aperture from the rear of the camera with the back open?
I can't see anything hopper like, or anything that would be removable without first dismantling the camera? i.e. what would I have to dismantle first?
What I can see is that the focusing helicoid is not the problem, since I can see the whole of the rear of the lens mount/assembly moving in & out smoothly when I focus. The wobbly bit is all the lens groups / barrel etc. wobbling on the lens mount.
any other suggestions?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'hopper' I was referring to is a roughly rectangular piece of plastic. The round bottom of this piece is around the shutter collar, the rectangular top end fits roughly into the cut out of the film screen.

But as mentioned, on these cameras there are several possible causes of loose lenses which not all can be cured.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration