Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic Lens viewer Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax Spotmatic Lens viewer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leigh

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just picked up an old Pentax Spotmatic which quite obviously needs work. I am new to photography of this nature but feel if I can get this camera working it should give better pics than my digital. The lens view is black, I mean, I can not see through it so I suspect that the blind is permanently closed and the shutter button is not working. Is there an easy fix for a newby or do I give up in disgust?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We need a slightly better description of what's wrong. If you take the lens off the camera (you can figure out how to do this, can't you?), you should see the mirror behind it sitting at a 45° angle. If the viewfinder is black, it's possible the mirror is up (the position it moves to when the shutter opens), blocking the viewfinder. Tell us what you see there.

Leigh

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, thanks for your quick response. I have, since posting my message, removed the base of the camera and, how I don't know got the mirror to be visible when the lens is off. I was able to use the shutter once then got the mirror back down as if ready to take a further photo but now the shutter does not work. It can be pushed down but nothing happens. I can now look through the viewer.

Leigh

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Things just keep changing, I am sorry but further fiddling has now allowed the camera to appear to be operating as it should. I have now got to clean the mirror and lens, can you make any suggestions? Again, thank you.

paul ron

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DON'T FORCE IT ANYMORE! The shutter needs repair. The ribbon is probably off causing the mirror to lock up and the shutter won't operate properly. Take it to a repair shop it's not a DIY project, more like brain surgery. Most overhauls cost about $150.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For cleaning both mirror and lens, the principle to keep in mind here is "less is more", meaning the less you touch either, the better.

For the mirror, get some alcohol and Q-tips. The best would be pure denatured alcohol (methyl alcohol, sold as either stove fuel or shellac thinner), but 90% isopropyl alcohol would also work. Don't use "rubbing alcohol"--too much water.

First, blow off any loose dirt and dust from the mirror. Then, moisten a Q-tip in alcohol and very gently wipe the mirror with it, and try not to leave streaks on it.

For cleaning lenses, you can use either alcohol or ordinary window cleaner. Neither one will harm coated camera optics. You can use lens tissue, but I just use ordinary toilet paper (gasp! say the purists). It works fine; you just need to blow off any remaining lint after cleaning. As with the mirror, be sure to remove all the dust and dirt you can before rubbing anything on the surface of the lens, to avoid leaving scratches. Clean as little as possible.

I've cleaned very expensive camera lenses using this method (including a 12" Goerz process camera lens) with no problems.

Ev Keating

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wind-on lever of my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic won't wind on; it moves from "8 o'clock" to "7 o'clock" but no further and the shutter release is baggy and won't click. There is no film in the camera... any ideas out there??

Donald

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I get rid of the "dirt" I see through the Spotmatic viewfinder? Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration