Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Best material to "remake" plastic bod... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Best material to "remake" plastic body part.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean OKeefe

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Well I got into the action touch without hitch, just undo the screws that look like body screws inside the back and the front and main camera separate.

My problem is that the corrosion that occured in the battery compartment was so extensive that it literally ate through the plastic at the top of the battery compartment. I have a 15mm hole where a 5 mm hole once was.

The battery terminal (neg) post is OK (stainless), so it appears that if I redo entirely the 2 wires from the negative terminal (one to switch circut board on top, one heads into the innards) I should get a working camera (or at least be closer than I am now).

Problem is that the battery ate some of the body plastic and I need to remake it. What would be best for this? It will have to be strong enough to hold the pressure of a battery but I can access enough at the top so I can even use fiberglass reinforcement from the inside if need be. I debrided the oxidized plastic and what is left appears sound.

Epoxy? Auto body fiberglass? What would work best for me and hold to the plastic? I can use tape to limit the material and redrill the hole by the batery post afterwards. Likely, I will also need to glue in the post of get a small screw that will go into the remade "plasic".

Thanks

Sean OKeefe

Henry

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two-part liquid plastic epoxy-like components I got from Micro-Tools has worked great for me. The labels are gone but probably Micro-tools still sells the stuff. I also file off plastic shavings from a modern P&S to use as reinforcing filler.

It has worked to seal body cracks and amazingly enough it worked well in the re-manufacture of Canolite battery compartment hinges. Pretty good stuff.

Henry

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,

Thanks, "guaranteed to glue plastic" .... exactly what I want. Shavings are a good idea, I was thinking autobody fiberglass which may or may not not "mix" well with the glue chemistry. I have a dead L35 that will be happy to donate to his cousin.

Sean

Charles Fallis

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a job for epoxy putty. You can mold it to shape, it sticks to almost anything, sets up an just a few minutes, and it is almost as hard as metal. Nearly every hardware store sells it.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My grandson modifies a lot of fantasy 'Warhammer' figures, some in white metal and some in plastic. He adds bits and pieces using a two-part epoxy putty he gets from model shops. There two brands popular in the UK, Milliput and Green Stuff. It sticks well, sets really hard and you can drill it, file it or whatever. It also takes model enamel paints well. Model shops in other countries may have them, or something similar. I scrounged some from him to fill a couple of dings in a metal camera top plate before repainting. I'm not sure if it would stick just as well to the type of plastic used for camera bodies, but it mighht be worth a try.

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought the plastic adhesive and epoxy putty both but I only tried the putty.

I was nervous when I read that epoxy potty didn't stick to certain plastics, but as I needed a bit on either side of the hole, I decided that it should stick to itself and by pressing it together, I should be able to plug the hole and make room for the second battery terminal. Worked like a charm.

I need to go at the cured putty with a dremel tool to make a hole for the terminal, and find a screw that will be OK. Then it will be time to put it together again and test. I think this is a job for Saturday morning. Thanks for the advice. I'll make a final post in this thread when it is all together.

Sean

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration