Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Half-dead Minolta X-300s...? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Half-dead Minolta X-300s...? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Brokaw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a nice-looking Minolta X-300s in a local thrift store. I think this is the same as the X-370s but the non-USA version. I put in fresh batterys, and the camera powers up when switched on -- LED display in the viewfinder illuminates, seems to vary the indicated shutter speeds with light variations and lens aperture changes. This happens when the shutter button is halfway pressed. Pressing the rest of the way, nothing happens, viewfinder displays go out, and the camera will not function again unless turned off then back on again. Has anybody had any experience like this with this camera...? Is there a service manual on the web somewhere (free, I hope ). Since I think the X-370 is still 'current', does any one know if Minolta still support parts for this one?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jim. I had the same experience with a lot of Carenas I bought...and these were all made in China, by the way. As I recall, I first suspected the capacitors, but in fact, the magnet was dirty and here's what I did: Remove the lens and remove the bottom plate. I think you'll see another plate in there held in place by 4 or 5 screws. The battery cage will be part of this plate. Remove that plate and shoot a decent grade of contact cleaner up through the bottom and toward the lens mount. You may be able to see your target, but even if you can't, you'll probably hit it. I'm willing to bet things start working well after this.

Jon

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jon, I'll check into it. I was able to find a great website with Minolta manuals, including the service manual for this model (over 9MB download, took 45 minutes...!) but this is what I'll start with. I've experienced sticky magnets on a couple of Olympus OM-10's. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brano

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim,

Is the great website with Minolta manuals any of those referred to in the instruction manuals section of this classic camera forum? If not, could you post its web address?

Brano

Aaron

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim
Can you show us the link please? Thanks!

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bookmarked the site, so here's the url:

http://www.geocities.com/eskoufos/fmm.html

Somewhere on there he makes reference to getting some of his manuals from "Favorite Classics" so i think this might be mentioned on Henry's pages somewhere also.

One manual I didn't find that I would like to is the service manual for the Maxxum 7000 -- does anyone know of a site having that one for downloading?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration