Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Cleaning Focus Screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon AE-1 Cleaning Focus Screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone offer advice on how to clean the focus screen on a Canon AE-1? My old camera has dark spots and smudges, as well as black particles both on the focus screen and inside the optics within the viewer (sorry I don't know the right terminology for the glass through which you view). Can the focus screen be removed to get access to this area?

Ed

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is probably from the shock that has deteriorated and become gummy. It makes a mess. Use isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing--has stuff in you don't want on vf). Lightly moisten it and blot excess, then gently rub spots on bottom of screen. This should take care of it. The inner surface of the screen is hard to get to and usually stays clean. Before you do all this, us should remove any remenents of the old shock and replace it.

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most stuff called rubbing alcohol in the USA is just 70% aq. isopropanol without other additives. You do have to be careful of denaturants as a friend did once cleaning a screen with methyl ethyl ketone denaatured lab ethenol.

Sean

Tim Martin

Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What should I use as a cleaner/ blotter? Lens tissue? Q-tip?

Are the serrations of the fresnal lens (I'm assuming that's what the focus screen is) on the surface exposed to the lens, or the other side? Is the focus screen made of plastic?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Tim. Truthfully, I'd suggest removing the pentaprism and screen to clean it. In most cameras, the focus screen and the lens that sits above it form a "sandwich" that will capillate any liquid that might run to the edge like crazy. I like to use warm soapy water and a very soft brush (was originally a lady's makeup brush, maybe made of beaver hair or cat fur or something). Rinse it very clean and air dry. This requires removal of the top cover and isn't the easiest thing you could do, but I think it is the best way to avoid disappointment. If you need to replace the damper pad, I can send you a kit for as little as $6, shipping included. To see it, please search on E-Bay "by seller" and enter my ID...Interslice.

Jon

Joe Badger

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tim:
I have performed this clean up on dozens of AE-1s
and have found that a Q tip soaked in lighter fluid works better than any thing else I have tried. The technique involves wiping the screen with a rolling motion of the Q tip never letting the same area of the Q tip touch the screen twice - repeat as necessary. (yes you use a lot of Q tips) I use the same technique to clean the remnants of foam off the mirror too.

ROBERT BARRON

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
I BOUGHT A ROLLIE MAGIC 1 ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO.
IT IS IN NEAR MINT CONDITION,METER APPEARS TO
WORK O.K. BUT APPERTURE BLADES ARE JAMMED SHUT,
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.IT,S A CAMERA
YOU DON,T HEAR A LOT ABOUT,WOULD IT BE VIABLE
TO REPAIR?
BOB

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration