Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Retina lllc - focus ring stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kodak Retina lllc - focus ring stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry DAmore

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just gotten a retina lllc (small) that has a problem with the button release on the bottom of the camera front that locks the front in place and "releases" the focus ring. The top button works fine, but I cannot get the bottom button out. Someone seems to have pushed it in too far. I have tried some lighter fluid around the button, but no progress.

Does anyone have advice as to what the best way to get at the button is so as to repair it or free it up?

Chris Sherlock

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Jerry,

You're probably going to have to do major strip down to get at that button. At a guess I'd say it's jammed with sand or grit, perhaps the spring is broken.

You'll need to remove the whole folding mechanism. This will require removing the leatherette from the bottom of the camera and you'll have to strip the top of the camera too. From memory the rangefinder will have to come off.

You'll need to remove the shutter assembly so you can undo the screws holding the bellows to the front standard.

The shutter release shaft has to be lifted out too.

Remove the front "door", which has screws forming the hinge pins and the folding mechanism is held in the body by two screws from the top and two from the bottom. It is usually a tight fit but you should be able to withdraw it from the body. Once it is out you can push the inner section with the buttons on it out of the outer section and access that troublesome button.

Have fun!

Regards, Chris

Jerry DAmore

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the advice. I thought it would need a major disassembly, but I am going to give it a try. It will certainly be a test of my novice skills!

By the way, I also have a Retina llc that has a damaged top plate, but takes great photos. I was thinking, from my observation, it seems to me that the llc and lllc cameras are alike except for the meter and the shutter/f 2.0 lens on the lllc (versus a 2.8 on my llc). Would it not also be possible for me to put the lllc top and shutter/lens on the llc and then have the equivilant of a lllc? Or, are there some internal components that are not compatible? What are your thoughts? I thought it could be a fall back if I cannot get the lllc repaired as expected.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration