Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to get top plate of Kiev 4a off Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » How to get top plate of Kiev 4a off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

chris lee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,

I have a Kiev 4a and I have been trying to get the top plate off this camera. This model(1965 with 1/1250s) has a rectangular light meter at the top, I managed to get the shutter speed knobs+film advance,aperture/shutter compu dials ,and film rewind knob out, but the top plate just simply refuses to lift off.

The lighmeter block appears to be mounted separetely from the top plate.

There is a slotted collar underneath the aperture/ shutter compu dial and that wont unscrew either. I suspect it might somehow be connected to the lightmeter/shutter and so did not want to apply too much force. I can be rotated very slightly so I dont believe its is screwed down.

I also have not removed the eye piece as the thread is gone or something , it just turns and turns, and I dont think it is holding the top plate.

I got the front plate and back film plane off OK.
I am trying to replace the torn ribbons and release the second shutter and find out what is jamming the camera . Also give it a CLA while I am at it.

I hope to put some life back to this really nice camera.

Would appreciate if anyone out there can help???

Regards

Mark Pearce

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris;
If it were me, I'd leave the top plate attatched to the top casing and remove that. Two screws in each film chamber and one next to the film advance and the whole top of the camera will come off, meter and all. This will provide access to most shutter and film advance parts, the VF/RF, and allow the removal of the shuter module if needed.
I'd also buy a manual; I use Peter Tooke's, available from Micro-tools.
Mark P.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I recall correctly, I think you have to take the top casing off before you can get the chrome off of it.

If your problem is the ribbons, you don't need to remove the top though. You might have to if you need to get deeper into the shutter....

:)=

Chris Lee

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try Mark's suggestions again and report back tomorrow.
Rick ,I have torn ribbons and thanks to your detailed illustraitions on your web, I think I know how to fix it.
I still need to take a loook deep inside to see what is jamming and how I can free the second set of shutter curtains.
Regards.

chris lee

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mark and Rick,

I did it...thanks to both your help. It was the cheese head screw at the bottom.

I got the shtutter crate out and freed the top curtain and cleaned everything first with WD-40 and afterwards isopropanol.

I believe the next stage is to crank it up and test the shutter escapement , however before I do that, I need to get a consensus from you Gurus on whether I need to re-set the relative position between the film advance disk (top with 3 screw holes and square cut-out) and brass shutter speed timing ring (this is the ring about 1/8 inch thick and has slots cut ).If so how do I do that?

I believe this is important as the shutter speed can only be changed only after the film has been advanced. Or maybe not, pls tell me.

If you have any thoughts on this please enlighten me.

Thanks for helping me get this far anyway. Its a great camera to work on.

Thanks and Regards.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris;
It will only go one way and work. Keep playing around untill it goes together.
Mark P.

Chris Lee

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mark,
I have already CLA'd the gears and
I will do the ribbons this weekend + post the results around mid week.
Thanks again for all the help.
Regards

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can change shutter speeds either before or after advancing the film.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration