Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need Help Gluing Prisms back together... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Need Help Gluing Prisms back together on a Minolta sr-T « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aaron Howard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,

Once again I am lost. On my srT the cement/glue between the small prisms on the penta-prism had become completely opaque. The smaller prisms popped right off when I took the dental-pick to them. I have cleaned them and am ready to glue them back in place.

What I want to know:

What kind of glue do I need?

If I use one that requires UV light to setup/cure, will a black light work?

I need to glue one of the rings that hold the little calcium sulfide light sensors in. How should I glue it on? I don’t think the same adhesive was used because the denatured alcohol readily dissolved the cement on the prism but had little effect on the glue around the ring.

Oh and last any recommendations on what kind of paint to use the prism after it is all back together: latex, acrylic, or something else?

Thanks guys I’ll appreciate any help or suggestions,
Aaron Howard

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

use acetone to make ssure you have the old cement. I use Duco cement for regluing. Get them in position and wrap (this is done with prism out of camera) arouond the asssembly to hold while cement dries. Have no particular recommendation on paint.

Aaron Howard

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and what about cementing the sensors back in ther rings?

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can use epoxy glue for re-glueing the sensors - but things glued together with 2-part epoxy glue hardly can be separated if necessary. You can use any other glue which is suitable for glueing metal, glass etc.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for the paint, I guess you're talking about the black paint on the non-reflecting surfaces? (I don't have an SRT prism handy but most prisms and lenses have some edge blacking).... I just use Testors black model enamel for that. Gloss or flat doesn't matter, since it's the glass surface that establishes the finish anyway.

Good idea re Duco cement, I haven't tried that (yet).....

:)=

Aaron Howard

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rick-- i had not even stopped to think. you are right though the glass is the finish so it does not mater if it is a mat or gloss.

thanks to all
aaron

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration