Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax D Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Contax D Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabe Waters

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contax D and the opening curtain only opens about half way on the slow speeds (I think the faster speeds are fine but its hard to tell). I have some experience with leaf shutters but I have never 'gone after' a curtain shutter system so I would like some advice. The interesting thing is that the timing of the closing curtain is perfect even at the slowest speeds so I am hesitant to start mucking about and messing up the timing if all I need to do is adjust the opening curtain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Gabe:

There's nothing wrong with the mechanism, the curtains are dry and stiff and need to be replaced. I have a set of instructions here:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-87.html

The higher speeds are not just fine as is, though: the first curtain is hesitating and being slammed home by the second curtain, so you'd only get about half a frame of exposure with it.

Don't try to compensate by increasing the spring tension; it won't work, and you don't want to damage the springs in the attempt.

email if you need help.

rick :)=

Gabe Waters

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick,
I had actually found your site and suspected as much, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something simple. Replacing the curtain looks like something I can handle and the camera is in such nice shape beyond the sticky opening curtain that I think I will have a pretty nice piece of equipment when I am done.
Also where has this place been all my life. I have pretty much taught myself all my camera repair knowledge by trial and error. Starting with an old balda that was just too pretty to die so I braved that first step and the rest is history.

Gabe Waters

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more question about the shutter curtains. If I am having problems with only the opening curtain is it best to just replace that one or should I just replace both at the same time?

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll need to replace them both. When I take the curtains out of these, they are so stiff they stay curled and stand up on end, and I can tell you whether each camera was stored cocked or released by the shape of the hardened curtains.

Also, just a word of caution: there is nothing in the stack of gears under the shutter speed dial that you can adjust, it's very ccomplex and hard to get back together... so don't go in there.

rick :)=

Gabe Waters

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having trouble getting the film gate to come off. I have disengaged the film advance, but it still won't come off easily. Am I missing something?

Chun YE

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Rick:

I bought a Contax S that the shutter dosen't work receintly.I dismantled the camera following your "replacing shutter curtain" and checked the shutter function following your "how the Contax S shutter works".

I found that only the shutter timing spring (4) on your drawing dosen't work, and the rest is OK.

I'd like to know how to remove the timing assembly (13,14 _ opening/closing cams) and to inspect the timing spring (4).

Many thanks ahead.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration