Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning a truly sticky shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Cleaning a truly sticky shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jani Heikkinen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
After opening an old shutter I realised the why it doesn't work...there are small amounts of this sticky blue stuff(I think it's called blue tac)between two moving parts. The gap between the parts is too small for any tool. Does anyone know what liquid dissolves this blue stuff?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What kind of shutter? The only blue stuff I've ever seen inside old cameras is corrosion, which is something you really want to get rid of. More details, please.

Jani Heikkinen

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a compur shutter and it looks like someone has stuffed the sticky stuff(reminds me of bubblegum) thru a hole in the shutter. There was more of this on the shutter itself so that is why I know what it is. I already soaked it in ethanol and an electronics cleaning solvent today but they didn't work.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yuck. You'll probably have to take it apart. Cigarette lighter fluid usually dissolves the normal oils and grease that make shutters sticky, but I don't know what you'll need for that stuff.

good luck...

rick :)=

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try soaking it in common gasoline. If that doesn't help, Rick is right. You'll have to take it apart.

Jon

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, wait just a minute before you soak it in anything.

I think it's time to put an end to that pervasive myth that soaking a shutter in [insert name of solvent here] is a good thing to do.

Yes, gasoline might be a good solvent to remove that stuff (let's call it "oobleck" for the sake of discussion). But just dunking a shutter in solvent is an exercise in hope at best, misplaced hope ending in failure at worst.

What it comes down to is this: if you really want to clean a shutter, you've got to take it apart. Then you can soak the parts in [solvent of choice]. But dunking and drying, sorry: not a good thing to do. (Even if it sometimes works.)

Everett MacLean

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help!!!

My recently aquired Electro 35 has frozen/stuck shutter. Any easy way to fix this? Or should I toss the camera?

Jay Ladouceur

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just today my Konica T3n was sticking. I had just reloaded and when advancing to #1 it stuck. Touching the self timer slightly toward the lens released it. It would work with lens pointed down but not horizontal. I kept tinkering using the timer lever to release it at all speeds and now it seems to be working again. It had sat for 15 years before I began using it again last spring. Should I be lubricating it? Does anyone know how to do that?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration