Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canned Air/Dust Removers Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canned Air/Dust Removers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Fricker

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to clean an old (and very dusty) Nikon FG (it's shutter is misbehaving).

The only readily available products are those carried by the large department store chains that all contain a chemical agent that may (or may not) be as safe as the label claims. i.e., do they leave a residue?

If the product (tetrachloroethylene?) requires use only in a well ventilated room one has to wonder how 'inert' the stuff really is.

If these products are not safe to use on a camera's innards, what other recommendation do you have?

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of these products use a pressurized (liquified sort of) gas of some kind (the stuff I use says "difluroethane", whatever that is...) These should be pretty safe as long as you only spray the gas. Don't tip the can or allow the nozzle to point down, and hold the nozzle a few inches off the surface. I've seen some cans that have warnings about not spraying on camera mirrors. I got too much on an SLR mirror once, a bit of liquid, and it made a spot or deposit of some sort, though the liquid evaporates so fast that there was nothing there but the mark. Careful cleaning with 99% alcohol and a wad of tissue wiped out the mark. A gentle blast from a distance with the can upright has never caused a problem in my experience. The brand I use is called "Dust Off Professional XL" and I buy it in a 4-can pack at Costco.

Tim

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I have an air compressor, what is the best way to direct a small blast of air for fine objects like cameras? I have an air nozzle for dusting with my compressor, but I'd only use it on a desktop to blow away metal chips in a shop, not to dust a camera's innerds. Any suggestions? An empty airbrush? Or is shop air bad for some reason?

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problem using a compressor to generate blast air: I use my small airbrush compressor for just that purpose. Just aim and fire.

One thing to check for, though, is to make sure that no compressor oil or moisture makes its way through the hose. Any decent moisture trap ought to do the trick here (usually attached to the pressure regulator).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration