Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dismantling a Mamiya Tower 18B Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Dismantling a Mamiya Tower 18B « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a Mamiya/Tower 18B rangefinder camera. Original problems were that the outside focus lever and ring were not turning or focusing anything, and the aperture-shutter-speed geared-coupling was too stiff. I took the whole shutter ass. off of the body, took out the front lenses, took off the brass ring-nut that holds down the shutter speed ring, and was able to pull the coupled aperture-speed rings away from the shutter a few mm., but I still can't get it off completely because there is some gear on a spindle inside that is stil holding it together.

I can't see any screws. Can someone help me decide where to go from here?

Mark Overton

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This camera uses the Copal SVK shutter, which has a coupling rod from the front rings to the back of the shutter, where it links to the meter. You need to peel back the front leatherette and remove the whole shutter/focus assembly (which you've already done). Then remove more parts from the back until you see the end of that coupling rod. Unclip the gear and its end, and it'll pull out. There might be a couple of e-clips on the rod you'll also need to remove. This one takes some patience.

Scott

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, fixing this one took LOTS of patience. I had to reach in an pull off the E-clips. I didn't see how it would be possible to get those clips back on, and since there was already too much friction in the speed-aperture coupling mechanism, I disabled the coupling to the gears inside the camera body (which couple the ASA setting to the pointer inside the selenium meter) by removing a little conical pin in the axel that sticks into the camera body.

I had to take apart, clean and re-grease the focus threads, which had seized up. Now, the only problem is that the RF image stops moving at about 2 meters. On mine, the distance scale on the focus ring was glued on. Is it supposed to be held on with a screw?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration