Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning the 124G viewfinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Cleaning the 124G viewfinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Soeren Nielsen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I just bought a Yashica Mat 124 G.
It seems to work perfectly (I know when i have developed the film)
The viefinder though, looks like its been used as a vacuumcleaner. Before I rush out to get me some of those tiny screwdrivers to take the top off the camera I would like to know if its the right aproach.
Yours Sincerely
Soeren Nielsen

Ed

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

remove the four screws and the hood lifts off--nothing fancy--sometimes you may have to straighten the "wings" that protrude from bottom of the hood when you reinstall it. Be careful of rubbing on the mirror--it is first surface coated and can easily be damaged.

soeren nielsen

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ed
First surface ? I understand what coating is but
could you explain this ?
The glass is frosted on the underside, right?
I was thinking about just dusting it off with a brush and som compressed air. If that is not enough is it possible to "wash" it ?
Thank you
Soeren

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, a first-surface mirror has the reflective coating (silver or aluminum) on the top surface. (The viewing screen is frosted on the bottom; that must be what you were thinking of.)

You can clean the mirror using a non-oily solvent; my preference is alcohol (methyl or "denatured" is what I use, but you can also use ispropanol alcohol, which is available at the drugstore--just not "rubbing alcohol", as it contains too much water). Use a clean cotton swab and very gently clean the mirror. Be sure to blow off any dirt first so you don't drag it around and cause scratches.

Actually, I wouldn't use anything on the mirror except air and a very soft brush unless there's some kind of schmutz (dirt or stain) on it. The less you mess with it, the better.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I forgot to answer your question, which is to say yes, you can wash the viewing screen. Just use ordinary window cleaner and a clean cloth or tissue, then blow off any remaining lint or fibers.

Kevin

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there spacers in the 124 G? little washers or disks that level the finder glass. I've seen some TLRs with these. they tend to fall out and disappear. Gawd I hate when that Hppens.

soeren Nielsen

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
ups seems like I missed the Mirror part ;-)
Thank you David for the explanation on the first-surface coating. Yes I realy must be gentle cleaning the mirror. Out of curriosity, is the mirror responssible for the dark viewfinder due to the coating. As Kevin asks, are there any loose parts likely to disapear except for the screws.
By the way, I developed the film yesterday, Wauv it`s realy sharp and those details, astonishing.
Soeren

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

unless the mirror has been damaged or badly deteriorated for some reason, it would not cause a dark image--It will not be as bright as you would see in an slr--nature of the beast. Have seen any spacers shimming the hood on a 124g.

soeren nielsen

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your ansvers.
Now I will try to get some screwdrivers small enough to get the toppart off
Yours sincerely
Soeren Nielsen

Tony Armstrong

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Soeren,
I don't recall there being any spacers when I dismantled my 124 to clean the viewing mirror & lens. I have high resolution gifs & jpegs of both the disassembly manual and the user manual. I would be happy to email them to you - drop me a line at [email protected].

regards, Tony Armstrong

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration