Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Black stripe down right side of image Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Black stripe down right side of image « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Baxter

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta X-370 that has developed a problem. On some images, better than 50% of them have a black stripe down the right side of the image. The stripe can be as little as a slight shading on the side. It can also be as much as a complete blackening on the right third of the picture. This will be interspersed other picture that appear to be normal. I can't tell what similarities or differences are between the pictures that do have problems and those that don't.

What could be the problem? Is this something that is repairable? If it is, is it something that is going to be costly. I bought it used about 10 years ago, so I don't want to spend a lot on it.

Thanks

Ed

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you speaking of a vertical or horizontal picture?

Dan Baxter

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, guess I should have been more clear. It is down the right side of a horizontal picture.

Dan Baxter

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doh! Stupid me, It's an X-700, not 370. Sorry, senior moment.

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I don't know these cameras at all, but my guess would be that one or the other shutter curtain is slowing down near that side of the frame, overexposing it.

Just to clear up any confusion, you should be more specific: when you say the "images" have a dark stripe on them, do you mean prints (color or black & white from negative film)? or do you mean color transparencies? There would be a 180° difference in the cause of these; one would be caused by overexposure of the negative, while the other would be caused by underexposure (curtains moving too fast).

Dan Baxter

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The prints have the black stripe.

David Ritchie

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the frames with the black stripe be ones that were taken with flash? If so, maybe the shutter speed is not correct for flash?

Dan Baxter

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, in fact, the couple on the roll that were shot with a flash do not have any evidence of the problem.

Zara

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check your battery? I was having some intermittent striping and was told a fresh battery sometimes helps. Mine ended up being out of sync with the flash in addition to the old battery.

Ed

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is on a horizontal picture and the stripe is on the side (right of pic) it is likely the curtain tensions are off. In a bad case you would get anything at higher speeds. It is a condition that will only get worse.

Mike

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like your shutter is capping. This occurs when the second curtain catches up with the first curtain, typically only at higher speeds at first and typically towards the left (rewind) side of the camera which places the blocked-out portion on the right side of the image (which is upside-down at the film plane). Test for this by removing the lens, opening the back, setting the shutter speed to a manual 1000, aiming at an evenly lit area such as the sky or a wall, and firing the shutter. If it is capping, you will see it in the shutter opening as uneven brightness. If you don't see any opening at all at 1000, repeat at 500 or lower. It's likely not capping at all yet at 1/60 so the flash shots will be fine.

Dan Baxter

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I'll test it when I get home. If it is "capping" is it repairable? And at a reasonable cost? X-700 camera bodies can be had on Ebay for around $100.

Plus, the Nikon N75 looks pretty nice, maybe I need to finally upgrade to autofocus. :)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration