Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

REMOVING/ REPLACING STRUTS ON MOSKVA 5 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » REMOVING/ REPLACING STRUTS ON MOSKVA 5 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MARK

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE AND REPLACE THE STRUTS ON A MOSKVA 5 CAMERA. SOME ONE ATTEMPTED TO CLOSE THE CAMERA WITHOUT KNOWING HOW TO CLOSE IT PROPERLY AND BENT THE BOTTOM ONE. I HAVE TRIED TO STRAIGHTEN IT BUT IT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED TO DO IT PROPERLY. THE GUIDE LUGS ON THE STRUT LOOK LIKE THE ONLY WAY TO REMOVE IT BUT THEY LOOK PERMANENT AND I DONT WANT TO CUT ANYTHING.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The struts on the Moskva folders are riveted in place, as it is common with most folder cameras. Only way to remove them completely is drilling off the rivets. But you have to replace the rivets, which is not easy since the rivets have two diameters allowing for one component moving relative to another. Maybe a machinist could turn some new rivets for you - a friendly colleague did this job for me when repairing a Kinax Junior folding camera.

Peter Wallage

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't got a Moskva 5, but I think it's much the same construction as a 6x9 Super Ikonta, and I had a similar problem on one of those. I didn't want to take the strut off for the reasons Wifried gives, but I found that if I removed the shutter assembly (undo the ring nut from inside the bellows) and pushed the bellows back into the body I could get the jaws of a very small modeller's vice (almost a toy vice) each side of the bent strut to straighten it. Because the metal of the strut was slightly springy I had to use the 'three block' method to take the strut slightly past straight, and let it spring back. It was fiddling, but it worked. There's nowhere on this list to draw a sketch, but if you aren't familiar with this method of straightening I'll send you a simple diagram off list.

Peter

mark

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks alot
your idea about the vice worked realy well. thanks alot to both of you for your help.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration