Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax ME Super disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm new to camera repair and need to know what tools are needed to open a Pentax ME Super. Will a spanner wrench with 1/16 inch wide tips work for the shutter firing button? What tool is needed to remove the rewind crank safely?

I'm hoping that this camera only needs contact cleaning. When in Auto, it goes into manual mode.
If pressure is applied to the mode selector ring, the Auto returns (but returns to M mode once pressure is removed). Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After finding all the info on disassembly that's available on this site, I realized that the frist part of my fisrt message was a bit moot. :-)

I still would appreciate any input regarding my Pentax ME Supers' erratic Auto setting (goes into M mode when set on A but will go back into Auto exposure mode if pressure is applied to the mode selector ring). Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! By the way, what a great site!

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is likely to be a dirty or intermittent switch. Once you get the top off, you should be able to observe the switch action and see where contacts need to be (carefully) cleaned.

The ME Super is a very tightly packed camera, so it is easy for a novice to screw up a repair. A typical error is to lose the little click-stop detent plunger that sits on a tiny spring under the mode control dial. I have given up working on these finicky cameras, but I wish you luck.

Dave

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Haig, for the info and for taking the time to respond to my posting! I'll be watching out for that small spring. Hoping I won't have to disassemble too much to find the contacts...

John

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dave.It is possible to remove the top for cleaning the switches with very little difficulty. Remove the rewind lever and the wind on lever. The securers for the wind on lever are left hand threaded. Remove the screws around the top. Do not remove any of the mode control or shutter release button. Put the mode switch into auto. Remove the top slowly whilst the camera is on its back. Watch for a little pin which is in the shutter release button. When the top is off, note the position of a plastic lever in the body which is controlled by the mode switch.replace top and twiddle mode switch back into position.John.

John

Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May I just clarify that when the top is put back on, the idea, is to twiddle the switch to "B" and the back to auto, you will hear and feel the mode switch go back into the position it needs to be in.regards, John.

John

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An addition to my previous posting,..I have read that the mode switch is better set onto "M" prior to removing the top. regards, John.

tikbalang

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am an idiot. the shutter is stuck on my pentax me and so i proceeded to disassemble it to find out what is wrong. i could not remove the wind lever so i went for the rewind knob first. it was easy, i opened the rear cover, held the film forks steady and rotated the rewind knob counterclockwise. i set aside the knob and the shaft. because the rear cover was in the way, I CLOSED IT. now i have no way of opening it again. help me.

Dave K.

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've heard you can take a piece of wire like a heavy gauge paper clip - bend the tip to a 90 degree angle - insert it into the hole and fish around the periphery of the hole, pulling up on the clip - you should come to a spot where you can fee the spring resistance of the latch - if so, pulling at this point should work to release the latch. I just can't remember the exact spot!

tikbalang

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you. i tried fishing for the latch but it is concealed by a strip of metal from the inside. to reach it, i need a thin piece of wire but then this wire will not be strong enough to pull the latch. i have some photos here:

http://balisawsaw.blogspot.com/

sorry, the blog is not in english. i am thinking of pulling on the piece of metal where the rewind shaft rests on but it is tricky as well.

thanks again.

tikbalang

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fixed it. i used a paper clip with one end bent to a "V" and used it to hook the lock nut that prevents the rewind shaft from going all the way out when opening the rear cover.

thank you.

Alex

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yashica TL electro

I need to lubricate the sliding and rotating parts of this camera.Assuming all tiny parts are intact inside,will there anything come loose or fall out (that are press against the inner side of the top) if I remove the top part metal housing?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration