Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SR-T Super Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta SR-T Super « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mariam

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found an old Minolta SR-T Super lying around my house and want to try it out. I have been perusing the Minolta SR-T 101 Manual online to try to figure out how to work it. This is a bit of a silly question - please excuse my camera un-savvy-ness, but I don't know how to check if the battery (they are the old PX 625) still work (the battery looks to be in good condition, as I opened the battery cover, checked it, and placed it back). The manual refers to the battery checker at the base of the camera (the dial with the ON/OFF/BC indicators)but I noticed mine is missing the needle -- so I can't turn it -- do I have to go get this fixed? Also, if anyone could quickly go over how the camera works - i would really appreciate it. Once again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area. Thanks in advance for your help and for reading this loooonnng post.

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No reason to apologise, nobody here is born a wise. I'm not sure what you means by saying that the ON/OFF/BC switch "is missing the needle", but if you really can't turn it, then you have a more serious problem that ascertaining whether the battery is good or not. If the switch is fixed on "ON" it will drain the battery pretty fast, and if it is stuck on "OFF" the meter wouldn't work even with a new battery. However, I'm rather sure that the switch is not stuck. You should press and turm, using the knurbled ring for friction.
If it turn, then the next step would be for you to discover that PX625 batteries are no longer available, and indeed some eco-freaks would willing hung you just for the asking. Good news is, there is plently of advice on this site on how to solve tis.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the SRT-Super battery check is similar to the SRT-101, then you turn the switch to "BC" and then look through the viewfinder. The light meter needle should point to a certain spot, I think there is a notch in the side frame of the finder where it is supposed to line up. The manual describes this process.

If the needle doesn't appear, there are a couple questions... does the needle appear when you turn the switch to "ON" and meter a scene as if you are taking a picture? This should happen if the battery is good, but the only way to be sure is to check the battery on a voltmeter (should be 1.35 volts or pretty close) or substitute a new good battery (unfortunately the ones you can buy now are mostly 1.55 volts alkaline or the real expensive Wein cells which are 1.40 volts). While these will work to check the needle movement, the voltage difference will cause meter readings to be incorrect in some way for the exposure of real film... but its probably close enough in the case of the Wein cell at least.

If the needle won't appear even with a known good battery in there it might be stuck to some light shield foam that surrounds the focus screen/mirror area. The only fix for that is to dig into the camera and replace that foam, not a simple job for beginners.

Lee Crump

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simple Minolta SRT operation:
Thru the view finder you should see two indicators. The first is a pointer; this is the light meter. When the switch on the bottom of the camera is set to on the pointer should move as you view differnt levels of light. The second is a circle on the end of a pointer (about the same size as the light meter); this second indicator will move as you adjust the lens apature, shutter speed, and film speed. The the two indicators match the camera is set for the proper exposure.
I hope you enjoy this excelent and simple camera.
Never hesitate to post your camera related questions here.

Rachel Rivera

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoa! i just bought a Minolta SR T 101, and now I'm reading that the batteries are no longer available? (they are the old PX 625) What ways are there around this??

Rachel Rivera

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH, I also wanted to say that i downloaded a scanned manual on this camera ( for anyone in the future coming to this site) and i found it on rurmonas.cust.nearlyfreespeech.net. It says you can download, but i just opened each page, copied it and pasted it onto word, since i don't like downloading stuff. (once its in word you can click on it and resize it by pulling the corners in, hit print preview to make sure you have it on the page before you print, this way it printed 2 pages per page.)

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There have been LOTS of articles in this forum and on the web concerning replacing mercury cells. One possible way (on cameras with a galvanometer indicator) is to solder a Schottky diode in series with the battery (in the conducting direction) and to use silver-oxide cells. You will need an additional o-ring to fit into the compartment. Another way is using PX675 hearing aid cells with the same kind of spacer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration