Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FT: Black lines and Pics fading... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon FT: Black lines and Pics fading to black at right « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Emmett Barton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My canon FT is turning out pictures with either a black bar in to the right of the picture, seperating it and combining it with another picture, or fading all together into blackness. I am only getting half of the picture sometimes. Other problems: about 6-10 pictures dont develope out of a roll, they arnt even on the negatives. There is just blank space, no frame.
Any ideas?

Mike

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the shutter is capping. That's when the second shutter curtain catches up with the first. Do a keyword search of the archives here for "shutter capping" and you'll find a lot of info on it.

jeffrey pursen

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live here in a mountain village in the Philippines and I value my Canon FT so much. I do have a problem with the shutter speed from 4 to 1 does not function. Any help? I use the camera to take photos of rice terraces and I am far from a service center. I appreciate any help.

Paresh Pandit

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems no one answered to “Other problems: about 6-10 pictures don’t develop out of a roll, they aren’t even on the negatives” part…

I also acquired an FT this year and was facing similar problems…
The dealer repaired the shutter mechanism that solved the problem of partially exposed frames…

However, for the part of Blank Frames, I suspect there is another culprit…
Are you used to Modern TTL Metering Cameras?
I own a Nikon F65…
Now on the F65, I am in the habit of metering the scene by ‘partially (read half) depressing the shutter release button’…
It has become second nature to me to do it while composing…
Now, in the Canon FT, this (partial depression of the shutter release button) ‘releases the spring tension of the shutter release (without firing the shutter) that is created while turning the film advance knob’…
You will notice this only when film is loaded…
Therefore, you CANNOT fire the shutter without re-advancing; thus the wasted (blank) frame…
When you are new to the camera, you might think, “ah, well I forgot to wind it…” and re-advance without noticing that you already had!
Therefore the caution to be taken is: ‘NEVER Partially Depress the Shutter Release Button (the care to properly press it should thus also be taken while taking pictures)!’…

The FT is a great camera with an exceptional lens along with…
I don’t know why the Shutter Release was left so…
The only flaw I could find in its build…
But then, what is ‘perfect’?! :=D ...

John Farrell

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your FT is releasing the wind lock, without releasing the shutter, it needs adjustment....that does not happen on a properly set up camera.

John Farrell

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to add - the blank frames are caused by the shutter not opening at all, and passing across the film gate with the blinds together.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration