Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister D : loose lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Minister D : loose lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pict

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Yashica Minister D with a loose lens. The lens barrel will rock noticeably with about 0.5mm play each side, and pull in and out as well. It is the entire lens assembly including the rear lens cell that is moving relative to the mounting plate. Anyone any ideas of the correct procedure to tighten the entire lens assembly back on the mounting plate?

With the front leatherette off I can see a rectangular plate holding the lens which is secured to the body with four screws. I'm reluctant to remove this without advice as I'm unclear how focussing and cocking mechanism couples from lens to body and vice versa.

I'd like to try some photography with this one but want to make sure the lens is square to the film plane. I could feed a small amount of epoxy under the bottom edge, but I'd like to fix it properly if possible.

Any pointers to sort this appreciated.

John

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The whole lens/shutter assembly is secured to the body by a threaded ring. Open up the camera back and look at the back of the lens. The ring with four notches holds the lens on the body.

If you are careful, you can tighten this ring by using small needle-nose pliers. Put the tips of the pliers in the notches on the ring and turn clockwise. Do not try to use cement to fix this problem.

pict

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks - no loose rings at the back end. I proceeded as follows...

Remove top of camera: 2 screws either end of casing + rewind crank + shutter crank - top lifts off.

Remove lens mount plate: front leatherette off, undo four screws, lens lifts out on rectangular plate (watch for shutter flash sync wires which are still atteched).

Problem was lens not mounted securely to rectangular plate - it is secured by three (loose) screws from the back. Tightened these and reassembled.

Sorted.
Thanks for the advice.
John

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yashica went through many combinations of components and design variations in their Minister and Lynx RF cameras. The advice I gave you was based on examination of my Minister D. I'm sorry it was not applicable. I have just started working on a Minister 700 that also does not use a retaining ring, so you have confirmed that I will need to remove the lens from the front.

These cameras generally have excellent lenses and mechanical components, but the rangefinders are a bit dimmer than competitive designs of their era. Careful rangefinder alignment and infinity focus check are key steps in restoring these cameras.

Enjoy your project.

Ray Gordon

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do i adjust the horizontal and vertical alignment on my Yashica Minister D? Do i need to take the top off the camera or are there any externally acessible screws?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

John Farrell

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your Minister D is like my Minister-700, there is one screw under the accessory shoe - slide the cover plate out - and another behind the slotted plug in the centre of the back of the top cover, that looks like a screw head.

Ray Gordon

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, thanks for the quick reply!
I'll try that as soon as i find some decent tools...
Happy Easter
Ray

Don Beattie

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Haig or Forum member

I've just purchased a Yashica Minister D and am experimenting with it. The focus mechanism is not clear. I have an original manual and when I look through the lens of my camera it certainly does not look anything like that which is represented by the picture describing focussing. You noted that 'careful rangefinder alignment and infinity focus check are key steps in restoring these cameras'. How can I check the infinity focus? What do I do if it requires adjustment?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration