Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM metering tab problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon EM metering tab problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CC Yau

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a Nikon EM that probably has the spring inside the metering tab ring broken. The tab and the ring beneath the lens mount just rotate freely within the usual limit but do not spring back to the home position and therefore does not follow the tab on the lens. Would it be an easy fix after removal the lens mount?

Thank you.

CC Yau
Hong Kong

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that the spring is not broken or dislodged, you can try winding up the spring on the gear that drives the tab ring. This requires raising the mount and turning the small plastic gear on the right side of the mount with a small pointed implement until spring tension has increased (about 2-3 full turns). You will need to do it in increments, moving the gear a few turns, then shifting the tool while holding the gear in place. This process is hard to describe, but you will understand what is required after a bit of experimentation.

I have lots of old EM parts if you need them.

CC Yau

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the advice.

As suggested, I removed the mount and found the small plastic gear and the spring beneath. Apparently the coupling between the small gear and the spring is lost and turning the gear does not engage the spring and no tension.

I decided not to go further because apparently it will need further disassembling with removal of the leather and the metal frame.

Risking messing up the whole camera, I put a few drops of AA superglue between the small gear and the spring beneath. The small window next to the mount can barely allowed me to do so.

After a 5 minute wait, I turned the gear and the gear and the spring coupled again!!!

As suggested, I tuned the spring tension and it is now in working order again.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Kim

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Nikon EM, and the light meter does not respond, regardless of what light I am in. I changed the battery, hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. On the other hand, the battery test light also is unresponsive...should I try yet another battery, or what do you suggest? (On reflection, it has been a long time since I've heard the 'beep, beep' sound the EM is known for...)

Aaron

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kim, the electric contacts in the battery box may be bad. Cleaning or polishing the contacts by means of the rubber eraser at the end of a pencil may do the trick.

Marie

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help! I have a beautiful Nikon EM that has been in the family for years and takes awesome pictures. It has a beautiful top-of-the-line Tokina lens. However, lately when I take a picture, the film is not advancing properly & I get 1/2 of one frame and 1/2 of the next in my photograph. I noticed that there is a tiny screw on the underside of the camera right under where the film advances. Is there some kind of adjustment that can be made?

I took it to my local camera store and was told that it would cost at least a $150 to repair and that it's not worth it - I should just buy a used camera body from them. I think they are just trying to sell me a camera.

Anyone have a similar problem and can give me an inexpensive fix?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration