Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 light meter ok but no shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon AE1 light meter ok but no shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

pat boyd

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I posted the other day but maybe wasn't clear. On my Canon AE1, the light meter works when I push the shutter button down but then it continues to work after I let it go. When I press the shutter button down all the way, nothing happens. The wind thumb lever will not advance either.
Any ideas??

Thanks, Pat

Joe

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the contacts might have come out of position. After removing the top cover see if the shutter will release by applying direct pressure to the switch contacts. If it trips see if you can disengage the light meter by separating the top two contacts. If this works the contacts can be re-aligned with a tweezers and trial and error.
Good luck

Vito

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds very much like the problem my wife's AE-1 is having now. I was able to get the shutter to fire by pushing the stopdown lever on the lower left side of the lens. It continued to work after that. I may try and see if I can get a clunker to take apart and perhaps I will try the alignment after I get a feel for how it disasembles.

Thx for the information.

Rene A Vaca

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I am Rene
I have a camera Canon AL-1 the battery door broke the little plastic pin. Any ideas where or how to fix?.
And also I have a Canon QL the shutter bottom not work does not clik the lenses, I would like to be fixed or repair.
I live in Florida city Fort Lauderdale.
Like to hear from you or advise a repai shop
Thank you
Rene

Henry

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The battery door of a Canon AL-1 (or similar) isn't that hard to fix. Here is what I did:

With a soldering iron melt the little plastic rivets to remove the retaining plate. If the broken piece isn't lost, epoxy it back in place. After it dries over night and shaped and sized with a file reassemble it. Hold the retaining plate with a thumb and if it cycle fine the interesting part of the fix can be done...getting the retainer plate riveted back on. Trying to re-rivet the plastic nubs just never worked for me. Drilling and tapping is feasible but a pain.

What I've done is tightly hold the retainer plate in place with lightly clamped mini vise grips. Then hold a screw in a pair of mini needle nose pliers as it's heated to a nice cherry red with a pencil torch. Minolta X-series screws that go into plastic work well. Push the screws in tight.

That's it...

Nate

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter in my Canon AE-1 that I just got from a friend sticks. I took it to my local camera repair shop. The man there said that he thought someone had spilled something sugary in it at one point. He told me there is no economical way for me to fix it. Any ideas?

Ringo

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sugary? like soda? carmel latte? mmmm. u need 2 get at it 2 clean it.

this page:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html

might give u an idea of what u r up against.

Nate

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick. I may end up taking it apart. The camera was given to me by a friend who wasn't using it. I can't decide if I should spend the time to take it apart and clean it, or if I should just try to sell it "as is" and put the money toward one that already works. I love the idea of a free camera, but I don't know if I want to go through all of that just to make it work. It could be a cool project, though....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration