Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to remove Zorki-5 top? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » How to remove Zorki-5 top? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Nebenzahl

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to take the top off my new Zorki-5 for cleaning. Can't figure out how to get the wind lever off. There's a chrome ring on top that someone else said should be a right-hand thread, but I can't budge it. Tried rubber gloves, pliers protected by rubber, but no go. I'm squirting lacquer thinner in the gap to try to loosen it. Any suggestions?

John Cribbin

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

I've just dug out Maizenberg and the good or bad news depending on your point of view, is that removing the winding mech. is the hardest part of removing the top.

Anyway the great man sayeth, the ring can only be removed when the mech. is wound and in the great tradition of Soviet engineering can be either left or right thread!

Also the nut is very tight with limited area for grip (as you have found).

Now try and make sense of this direct quote "..cameras with the optical wedge located in the outer part have a nut with left hand thread, while cameras with the optical wedge located under the plate have a nut with right hand thread". But it also states to try both ways, so this may not be a guarantee.

My translation is, the later Zorki 6 shaped cameras with the screw on wedge, are left hand thread and the earlier body shape with the behind the top plate wedge, is right hand thread.

Hope this helps. Must get back on Beststuff.

John

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it's easy enough to get the wind lever off--if you remove the right damn part! I was trying to get off the wrong piece, the large chrome ring just above the wind lever, when what I needed to remove was the collar around the shutter release. On my camera, this is a left-hand thread. Not sure which type my camera is, since Maizenberg's description is hard to parse: on mine, the optical wedge screws into a plate behind the top.

By the way, the tool I ended up using for this was one of the "flexi-clamps" I got from Micro-Tools. The only trouble was that the collar was halfway between the 7/16" and 1/2" sizes, so I ended up opening up the smaller tool to fit. If one did this more than a few times, one might want to get an extra 7/16" clamp and drill it out to 15/32".

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration