Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander VitoII Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Voigtlander VitoII « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Wilson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,
I am totally new to the concept of camera repair so please use short simple words if you can help me. I have been given a lovely VitoII in pristine condition except for the external shutter release seeming to be jammed. The shutter releases fine manually but the little button atop the "front door" barely moves nor does the cable release. As this camera has hardly been used I wonder what the problem is...can someone please give me some ideas as I would love to have this little gem as a regularly used camera.
Regards
Andrew

Howard

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew.
The Vito II is designed in such a way that it requires a film to turn the sprockets so the the button can be pressed. It is a double exposure prevention system. Try this, cock the shutter, open the back and turn the sprocket shaft to the right until you get a definite click and then you should find that the button works just fine,
Good Luck
Howard

Andrew Wilson

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Howard,

The word "Inept" springs to mind...guess what? You put film in the camera and it works!! What a novel idea!!
Thanks mate, it is much appreciated

Regards
Andrew

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, I have one of these li'l cuties myself. For many years it was the only camera I owned. The Color Skopar lenses on them are fantastic. I have many well-exposed and in-focus color slides to attest to it.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whilst not relevant to the original posting, the following may be of interest to "would-be" tinkerers of the Vito II.

Servicing of the shutter (ie: access to it) may be impossible.
The first move is to remove the black lens cone.
This is in fact of very thin brass and of dissimilar metal to its housing. Thus on a 40/50 year old Vito there is always galvanic corrosion and even the drilling of diametrically opposed holes and resort to a special pin-tool, has failed to shift that lens cone on any of the Vito II's which I have sought to service. They have each been virtually welded in situ and unshiftable.

It is possible to remove the cone by destroying it - but that does nothing for the collectability of the camera sample. Incidentally the cone doesn't screw in or out of position. If you look carefully you will see that the housing groove rings are single grooves rather than a spiral thread. At the factory the lens cone was simply snapped in.

Hope this helps somebody

Best all

Stuart Willis
[email protected]

Howard

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To any Vito II owners,
Just adding to this thread. There is a better way of getting access to the shutter. It has been covered in a thread in the archives "Dismantling Prontor SVS shutter on Voigtlander Vito II". I had this problem but Ray Youngblood came to the rescue with the answer. Just type "Vito II" into the Keyword Search.
Best wishes,
Howard.

Howard

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a further note. Ray Youngblood apparently got access to this information when he bought some "Voigtlander Repair Notes" from Ebay.
Best wishes again,
Howard

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration