Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35 blurred Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus Trip 35 blurred « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lewis Walsh

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Olympus Trip 35 camera with a sticky shutter, took it apart very carefully, and fixed the shutter. I put it together again just as carefully and thought everything was fine until I got the first roll of film developed and found they were all blurred. I can only assume I've not located something in the proper place, which is causing the focus to give an incorrect reading (so when I think it's at infinity, it isn't). Does anyone know a good way to ensure the focus ring and lense goes back the right way?

Many thanks,

Lewis Walsh

charlie stobbs

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure the pictures were sharp before you took it apart? Also is anything sharp in the picture or is it just not sharp at the distance set on the scale? If the latter, the front element can be set to agree with the scale by setting up a terget at a distance engraved on the scale (e.g. 3meters (=10 ft)) and putting some frosted glass on the film rails and using a magnifying glass rotate the element with the shutter held open until the image is sharp. (To hold the shutter open take off the top cover and hold back the pawl on the bronze gear near the front edge while rotating the film advance lever backwards and then depress the shutter release). Then close the shutter, reassemble. To resynch the scale with the 3 meter setting loosen the 3 small set screws around the O.D. of the front ring and set the focus adjustment to 3 meters (without rotating the glass element) and retighten the 3 setscrews).
This procedure was spelled out in more detail somewhwere on the web and a google search may find it.

Lewis Walsh

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, the images were sharp before, and all 36 pictures I took had the same level of blur, so where I'd changed the focus, it was just as blurred. So I'm pretty sure I have it set wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion about setting up a target and using frosted glass, I'll give it a go.

Michael Frangos

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis
This problem is removing/replacing the lens. It has been discussed before and it's very easy to solve. Search in the archives.

regards
Michael

Mick

Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably you have to recalibrate the infinity-focus setting. In that case you find a fast and effective method at

http://feuerbacher.net/photo/repair/InfinityFocus/InfinityFocus.html

Mick

Roger Foley

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The filter ring/film-speed setting on my Trip is quite loose and it can move to the next number with just a light touch. Does anyone know how I can tighten it? Thanks very much, Roger.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration