Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Please, is a viewfinder of a 'Nikon F... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Please, is a viewfinder of a 'Nikon FG' changeable or not??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

walter

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANKS

Sean OKeefe

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter,

If you are asking about the focussing screen, then yes, it can be removed by taking off the lens, removing the screw in the recess at the top front, and pulling down the cage to get the screen. It was designed for easy access but is not considered removeable as they didn't make a set of different screens for the camera. If you want to replace with a different screen, be sure they match and focus is correct.

Sean

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have considerable experience in substituting focus screens for Nikon EM, FG, and FG-20 cameras. The best method is to make a very small modification to the focus screen holder allowing the fitting of the latest Nikon screens for the FE/FE2/FM3a series of cameras. I can provide detailed instructions if you need them.

Note that this procedure should not be done unless you are accustomed to doing precise repair work. The Nikon focus screens are made of delicate optical plastic and are easily damage. Proceed with caution.

Walter

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I need to do with Nikon FG is:
- remove the viefinder;
- remove the focusing screen;
- place the plain focusing screen, kind of for Nikon SLRs, a D-type focusing screen.

...but how... what is the question!
Please let me know how can I modify Nikon FG...

Many thanks for your time.

Walter

SeanOKeefe

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter,

You'll have to file off the small flange that fits with the tweezers used for removeable Nikon focussing screens, designed as such so the screen is not damaged on installation and removal. Haig will probably know if you will need to make adjustments for brighter screen with the metering and whether you need to carefully adjust the screen to ensure proper focus.

Sean

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that a type D screen (completely plain matte surface) is not available for the FE/FE2/FM3a. The F/F2/F3 screens use thick condenser lenses and will not fit in the FG. However, the B3 type for the FM3a, which has a central 12mm circle on the plain groundglass, can be fitted to your FG. You can either cut off the tab on the screen (very carefully), or cut a small notch in the focus screen holder so the tab will fit. If you want to try this, I can email you detailed instructions. For the FG, I don't think any meter adjustment would be required. Focus adjustment should not be a problem, since the focussing surface is in contact with the bottom of the prism holder frame.

I have fitted Nikon B3 screens to EM, FG, and FG-20 cameras with good success.

dana

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a NIKON FG camera. I do not have the instructions for the camera. If anyone can help me it would be appreciative. PLEASE HELP. you can e-mail me at danakelley@bellsouth.net thank you

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration