Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sears Tower 60 MF rangefinder info? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Sears Tower 60 MF rangefinder info? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw this today as best as I can remember but had
zero luck finding out anything about it..anyone heard of it?
Sears Tower 60 camera, foldout design, F2.9 Schneider-Kresnach? lens,
Pronto svs? shutter up to 1/300th, takes 120 film...Has a built in
uncoupled rangefinder, German made? Looks interesting if the
lens is any good...has original box, instructions, warranty card...
Looks like an Agfa Isolette III basically...
Thanks!
Rob

Rob

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just told that camera is a Franka Solida
and the lens is a triplet but not very good.
Thanks.

frank

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FILTER SIZE INFO NEEDED< PLEASE. I have a 4x5 Crown Graphic with a 135mm Schneider Krusnach lens. I have been to 4 camera shops to try to buy a yellow filter but no one knows what size filter it takes.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frank,

What we need is an EXACT description of this Schneider Kreuznach lens. Just saying that it is a 135mm lens does not give enough info. Info needed is name (Symmar, Xenar ?) and maximum aperture. I have a hunch that what you have is a Xenar 4.5/135mm.

Jan

Frank

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 4x5 Crown Graphic with the Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 1:4.7/135 #9000281 in a Synchro-Compur Shuter. Boy I hope you can help me with the filter size.

Also have a 4x5 Crown Graphic with the Graflex Optar 4.7/135 in a Synchromatic made by Wollensak. Don't know what size filter this one takes eithr.
Mainly interested in black and White so I want some yellow,orange,red and green filters. Any help with what size screw-in filter or push on adapter and or what size Series VI or VII to go with the adapter would help. Also what size adapter. I received my first new Pacemaker Graphic for a Christmas present in 1948. Back then you could walk into a camera store and buy what you wanted. Now they have no idea of what you are holding in your hand! Times change . .wish I could also. Thank you again

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frank,

That info should help me. My 'know all about filters book' is at home, I am in the office now. The book was published close to 30 years ago by B+W and lists just about every lens manufactured, with appropriate filter size info.

Hang in there, you will have your answer within a day.

All the best,

Jan

Frank

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan
Thank you in advance for your time and courtesy.
Frank

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could measure the end diameter of the lens using a metric ruler or calipers... that would give the diameter. I think the filter threads are most often M## x .5 pitch, so its often standard. For slip-on adapters for Series you could measure the outside diameter of the lens end, then get one that is close and try if it fits snug. The big internet/mail order outfits are your best bet for a wide variety of choice in filters. I think a lot of newbie digital photographers think they don't need filters anymore. If they're good enough at Photoshop they might almost be right, too. But getting the right filter in front is easier than adding the filter's effect later, IMO.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Fred,

The screw-in diameter of the Schneider Xenar lens is 40.5 x 0.5, in other words a standard 40.5mm filter. Not very common, but certainly available from many on-line photo retailers. You can also try eBay - do a search with 40.5, you will even find adapters that will allow you to use 52mm filters.
Push-on diameter of your lens is 42mm. I might be wrong, but think that the Graflex Optar is made by Schneider as well, and could very well be an identical lens.

Glad I could help.

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred,

The Graflex lens could also be of Rodenstock manufacture, maybe an Ysarex. Check if the two lenses are the same filter diameters, if not can give you the specs for the Rodestock as well.

Regards,

Jan

Frank

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The second 4x5 Crown has the Graflex Optar 4.7/135 in a synchromatic made by Wollensack. The outside diameter measures 40mm. It seems to also be threaded on the inside. I have a couple of E39 Leica filters and have looked all afternoon for them. The type of thing . . . they sat around on my bench in plain sight for the last bunch of years and now I can't lay my hands on them! I know they are here somewhere close and maybe they might work? Have found a 40.5 on eBay yet.
Thanks again
Frank

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred,

I don't think any other manufacturer used the 39mm filters, only Leitz did. If you measured the Optar precisely (with calipers) and it indeed is 40mm outside diameter, the filter thread will be between 2 - 3mm smaller, a rather odd size. The Optar probably was not made by Rodenstock, their Ysarex was 4.5/135mm and used a 40.5mm filter as well. It probably is a Wollensak lens and unfortunately my book does not have any data on those.

Good luck,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration