Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 7S w/stuck self timer Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta Hi-Matic 7S w/stuck self timer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Fallis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recieved a Minolta HiMatic 7S that I ordered from Ebay today and everything was working great until I set the self timer. I tripped the shutter and everything locked up. I am assuming that the self timer is mechanical and so I removed the front element of the lens, F-stop and shutter speed rings, and etc. to get at it for cleaning and seeing what I can do to unjam it, but I ran into this plate that I can't figure out how to remove. I've already tried, in desperation, squirting a little lighter fluid into the slot (hoping to free up the self timer without removing the plate), with no success. Anyone know how to get this plate off? Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Monty Cadenhead

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a bunch of very knowlegable people on this board, but I'm not one of them. :)

Untill one of them comes along, you might have a look at this:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/seikosha/seikosha.html

Which I think is the same shutter.

I got an Ebay HiMatic 7S today too, first of 7 ebay cameras I've bought that works.

Monty

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles,

You need to remove the decorative band around the shutter. There are two small screws at the bottom that hold the band in place. You have to move the focus to the short distance end to get at the screws and lift the band off. You can then work the shutter cover off by tilting it slightly to slide over the ST lever. Watch out for the two small pieces that sit on the ST lever. This can be tedious to reassemble because of those two pieces, but it is possible. It's much easier to remove that cover with the shutter off the camera, but getting the shutter off is rather involved.

The shutter shown on my web site is similar to the LA shutter on the hi-matic. The main difference is the lack of auto-exposure system and no M/X synch selector.

Charles Fallis

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty,
Contrary to your experience, I've had very good luck with ebay - except for Minoltas. I'm starting to develop a real persecution complex about them. I've ordered several of them and not one has worked for more than an hour after I got it, including one that was new. Taking this one apart, it quickly became evident that someone had been in there before me (burred screwheads, scratches, etc.) and had attempted some sort of ham-handed repair of the shutter. Anyway, of the cameras I have bought there, nearly all have only needed a good cleaning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration