Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

It`s not the escapement, it`s the shaft Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » It`s not the escapement, it`s the shaft « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Braun Super-Paxette with Prontor SVS shutter which still caused some trouble. From time to time the shutter almost got hung up at speeds of 1/2 and 1 sec. I was sure I had cleaned the escapement and the blades sufficiently, and I noticed that the shutter was running flawless when activated by the self timer.

On the Prontor shutters the cocking shaft drives the blades via a crank mechanism, and if the shaft is somewhat jammed, of course the shutter will not operate correctly. The shutters of the early Paxettes (with only one sprocket wheel) are pretty simple to open, but on the later ones (with a sprocket shaft) it is a nightmare. But I remembered that the speed dial covers some holes in the shutter housing. I removed it and could see the cocking shaft through one of the openings beneath it. I applied some drops of lighter fluid and a very little quantity of oil, and the shutter works flawless now under all conditions.

Soon after that I had similar trouble with a Kowa SET shutter of which I had cleaned the escapement, too. This shutter has the same principles of operation as the Prontor shutters (most japanese shutters are designed after this template). After some hours in the spring sun on the window shelf the shutter got jammed again. On the Kowa SET the cocking mechanism including the interior part of the cocking shaft are located under the bottom plate. I opened it, found a gear and a shaft which moved backwards when firing the shutter - this must be the cocking shaft. I also applied some lighter fluid and oil, and it was sitting in the sun all morning, the body seems to have around 35 deg. C now, and the shutter is still working like clockwork.

The bottom line is, if a Prontor style shutter is still occasionally jammed after cleaning the escapement and/or the blades, have a look at the cocking shaft, it might need some lubrication, too.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick oleson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is particularly true of SLR leaf shutters, including the Compurs in Voigtlander and Retina reflexes.... in these, there is no shutter release mechanism per se: the cocking gears hold the shutter against firing, and it's this gear train that is let go by the body shutter release. In these cameras, shutter problems are more commonly in this area than in the shutter itself.

rick :)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration